Mixers/Consoles Sound System Help

peacefulone61

I have recently been employed by a new venue, I have been tasked on trying to fix the sound system. I have to admit I have never come across a system like this before. I have spent a few weeks scratching my head and have made it through the major shows for this time of year, however I would like to get a better handle on this system while i have some down time.
This is what is in the Sound System
Inputs
Mac Qlab which sends out through Firewire to a Harmony Mobile Interface 8 Outs Each out goes into a separate channel on the board
8 ins 4 out Snake
And a Yamaha MG 206C Sound Board that all of the wireless miss are connected to then is connected to the main controller
Main Controller is a Soundcraft Spirt 324 Live Digital Mixer ( I think) This is my first digital board
Each of the 8 Channels of the Mobile Interface are set to a different output
There are 4 Wharfedale MP1800 AMPs one is Phased reversed that each of the 8 Outputs go to.
Some how though there is also a RCF digital Mixer and a 8 Channel Soundcraft Digital Mic Line Interface Both Rack mounted above the amps, I cannot figure out how they are connected into this system however if they are not on it does not work.
There are 8 Speakers Connected through Speak on Cable from a make shift patch array at the board that has cables running all over the place on the floor and through the electrics. Same manufacture as the Amps at most I can only get 1/2 working and have been told that they are at the end of their functional life
Right now I am looking for help in understanding the system and maybe a way of cleaning it up and getting it functioning better for the short term however Ultimately I am hoping also for some suggestions on upgrades or different equipment to help streamline the system
Primary Use is a theatre, It is a black box and in theory the speakers are meant to be moved and reconfigured as the space is reconfigured. this however does not seem to be the practice.
Need the ability to control sound to different outputs (mostly sound effects)
Reinforcement vocally for Musicals
Vocal reinforcement for vocalist in music concerts
Music for Dance performances, ( they tend to like it loud and lots of bass) I am trying to figure out how to add a sub into this system
Secondary
Showing films with audio

These are the pictures I was able to take, I am unable to get behind most of the system components due to cable lengths and how the system is installed in the booth at this time. Something I am also working on Fixing

Speaker connection or patch setup
IMG_1638.jpg

Box the computer Outputs to
IMG_1639.jpg

Back of Box

IMG_1641.jpg

Sound Board Setup 1-8 are the channel coming in from the Harmony Audio

IMG_1642.jpg

Rack with 2 amps and Spirt Digital Mixer

IMG_1644.jpg

Other Rack Under Sound Board

IMG_1643.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 210
My guess is that the audio goes out from the board then into the processors for matrixes and crossovers. This is definitely unnecessary because you have a digital console, but probably still in there because the venue had an analog console before they went digital, and just never got rid of them (happens often). Let me do some thinking and look up specs for your consoles. and i will get back to you soon.

My guess is that the audio goes out from the board then into the processors for matrixes and crossovers. This is definitely unnecessary because you have a digital console,
It's very rare for a digital console to perform the crossover/system DSP function (for good reasons), and the Soundcraft 324 pictured doesn't have that capability (nor do most digital boards).

I agree that there is a rats nest there and potentially a lot of unnecessary equipment, but probably not a good idea to start unplugging things until what's there is fully understood. If that is unlikely to happen due to too many cooks in the kitchen over the years, paying someone to come in and advise on the situation is a good idea. A new board, new DSP and system tuning if there isn't one, and some new wiring would make a big difference. The hardware component of that redo would probably be less than $3000. Labor would depend on how crazy the situation is and how much is broken.

Reactions: Ric
I guess a start would be to upgrade your main console if you have the budget, since you have several consoles and need more channels obviously. IMO, I never think it is a good idea to do that.

I would definitely recommend replacing the 324 ASAP. I had that in a venue and it was just a mess-started to have failures and not intuitive at all...
Arguably the Soundcraft 324 was the worst digital board ever made - all of the downsides of digital with none of the upsides. :) Something modern like an Allen & Heath Qu series or Behringer X32 series would be miles better.

Personaly I would start with a cable tester, pen&paper, a ton of elbow grease and a quite weekend to map out ALL cabling and patching. Unless you are going to re-design the sound system deployment from scratch you NEED to know what goes where. And which cables are bad. Chances are it will be much easier to get the whole picture when you know what goes where.

Personaly I would start with a cable tester, pen&paper, a ton of elbow grease and a quite weekend to map out ALL cabling and patching. Unless you are going to re-design the sound system deployment from scratch you NEED to know what goes where. And which cables are bad. Chances are it will be much easier to get the whole picture when you know what goes where.

+1. Trace every cable and draw a one line diagram. That way you can start neating up the wiring and determining which cables are bad and still know what needs to be plugged into what.

The whole system is a candidate for replacement, though. It's a bunch of bottom barrel gear from ten years ago and even the physical stuff (cabling, boxes, etc) looks like a hack job.

Upgrading console and amps is probably the way to go. By the time you get all that mess figured out and working the way you want it too I bet you could have gotten a new console (agreed an X32 or M32 would fit you well) and amps installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back