soundboard security

The trouble is that, particularly knowing which building you're talking about, Matt, is that most of the easy solutions aren't terribly cheap, and it'll be a fight to get the money spent for it. I remember the losing battle I went through trying to get the LX console down in the house for focus when I was there, and that was a one man carry, two down the stairs. The boss man just didn't want us moving it. [shrug]

Without knowing exactly how big the new console is, the easiest solution would be to see if you can find a rolling cart it will fit on and make space for it back in the cage, just like where the old one lived. If you need mics for small "talking head" events, just leave 'em patched in back there so it just needs to be powered up . Then when there's an event, roll it out front, patch it in, and put it away at the end of the night. Leave the cable runs out.

We always left it out in the house when I was there, but then again, it wasn't a nice pretty new console, either.

The ideal solution for a bigger console, is to get a real case for it with a doghouse, and then get a console tipper. The case has wheels on the lid, and the tipper goes on the side of this and actually tips the console, in the case, up so that the tipper and the case act as a table. The lid goes away, and you leave the console in the bottom of the case. Of course, this is way overkill for a 24x8, but I'm throwing it out there for completeness.

--A

haha the "boss-man" i know exactly what your talking about the principal was willing to leave it in the house but the "boss-man" changed the plans at the last minute to put it in the booth. in fact the principal overheard me complaining about it and told me not to blame him. you are right about getting them to pay for anything, but they may be more willing to if i can explaing to them how much better it will make thier new equipment sound. i didnt know you used to mix from the house, hell i didnt even know the school owned a snake! though i guess the snake into the booth wasnt really that permanent and could probably be moved...

Yeah, for the musical, senior variety show, and "Music for a Cause" (do they still do that?) we'd set the top of what used to be a folding table wedged between two rows of seats mid-house when I was there, and put the console on that. There was a small, but big enough, snake that we'd run from there down the aisle, along the front of the stage, and back to the cage.

The few times I visited after I graduated, they'd migrated to just setting up the folding table behind the back row of seats, which I suppose is a lot easier and not too horrible a compromise.

The booth, with a tiny window and being way over the head of the audience, is beyond awful. Odds are that mixing a show from up there with the new gear will sound worse than mixing downstairs with the old gear.

The key, if you're going to make any progress on that, is to explain in simple terms, but remember that you are talking to somebody far older and more important than you. He was always pretty good at understanding if you explained it clearly but respectfully, just remember that, frustrating as it may be, he is the boss :eek:)

Simple way to keep people from touching the board:

Electrify all parts that can be touched when not in use. Or get one of those cameras they have at stoplights or in gas stations and a sign that says: "YOU ARE BEING WATCHED". Or both. Yeah, both. Wait no that would fry the components, darn. I like the padlocked roadcase idea. Or a dustcover like the one in that car commercial that makes it look like a piece of crap. Maybe the locking table is the best. Yeah go with the desk with the locking cover.

Why do I have the feeling I should read more than the first page before I post? Oh well... ;)

techieman33 said:
Even assuming it was a midas board it wouldn't harm a good case. We do it all the time.

I was just going on how big a Midas or Eminence could be, plus its case, on top of something less big, with an insufficient case. Was meant more as one of those overstatements that isn't based on a real, likely occurance.

propmonkey said:
who is going to steal a soundboard??

Given enough opportunity, people will steal anything. I doubt the maintenance staff would be stupid enough to do it because they'd be the first people that would get suspected, and they'd either have to have the need for it, or have a source to sell it to. But I guess it depends on the school. If the original poster is that concerned, it must be a valid concern.

Andy- we didnt do music for a cause this year, we did rock the vote instead, seniors who had proof that they registered to vote got in free and evereone else paid 5 bucks.

well im not that concerned about theft, more about people who think its fun to mess with the board, but thinking as my assistant principal would theft is a key concern even though it is very unlikely and since he would have to approve any change i have made that a key concern.

What we did before we moved out into the FOH at my church

Old sound board 12 channel Yamaha with gooseneck talkback mic, sat on table inside an elevated position within the booth, heavy piece of equip for being so msall suprisingly. Behind the board sat the amp and monitor racks and a rather very small space to step up into the "sound board area" so not that much risk of theft otherwise youd end up breaking the board and or your back from trying to wrench it out. (recently upgraded to a Behinger 32 Channel that nearly took up the whole table when we put it in, amazed it could even fit.) sat inside a single deadbolt locked room with high security lock on door and a specialy cut key, very minor risk of theft.

After moving into the church, new Behringer put on table. Put locking bolts into the table bottom and secured it with a bolt to the bottom of the table now if somebody wants to walk off with our board theyll have to take the table with.

Last edited:
Wow, an 8 year resurrection is one of the older ones ive seen haha

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Wow, an 8 year resurrection is one of the older ones ive seen haha

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

haha aint that the truth :)

What we did before we moved out into the FOH at my church

Old sound board 12 channel Yamaha with gooseneck talkback mic, sat on table inside an elevated position within the booth, heavy piece of equip for being so msall suprisingly. Behind the board sat the amp and monitor racks and a rather very small space to step up into the "sound board area" so not that much risk of theft otherwise youd end up breaking the board and or your back from trying to wrench it out. (recently upgraded to a Behinger 32 Channel that nearly took up the whole table when we put it in, amazed it could even fit.) sat inside a single deadbolt locked room with high security lock on door and a specialy cut key, very minor risk of theft.

After moving into the church, new Behringer put on table. Put locking bolts into the table bottom and secured it with a bolt to the bottom of the table now if somebody wants to walk off with our board theyll have to take the table with.

Personally, given the options, I would of pushed for them to buy a slightly bigger Yamaha or stick with the current Yamaha rather than go with a Behringer.

Personally, given the options, I would of pushed for them to buy a slightly bigger Yamaha or stick with the current Yamaha rather than go with a Behringer.

We prefered the Behringer because of our budget constraints, the Yamahas would be nice but dgital boards r not wat we need (we would like on but we're doing it in increments.) and the Behringer has cleaned up and resolved some audio problems we think were present with the patch system after we installed a 32 channel snake. So the berhinger is a really nice board in my opinion and our previous Coordinators opinon (hes been head of A/V since back in the 70's stepped down about a year or so ago, but he's still the "head boss" in some things), as we used a sub mixer on the old board for all the band instruments. We also were needing a bigger board because of the amount of channels that we currently had in use (over 22 channels on a 12 channel board and 12 channel submixer, we were really pushing it with the patch panel). We wanted to eliminate the patch panel sytem and go for direct input, hence another reason of y we bought the Behringer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back