Soundcraft Expression Si

drankin

I want to make a send to my video camera that would be identical to the Mains out. In other words, I only want the body mics that are recorded in a cue to go to that external mix. Is there a way to route cues only to a mix?

I don't know what you mean by "route cues only to a mix." Cues are data, you don't route data to mix, you route audio.

A matrix basically takes one set of outputs (L/R mains, in this case) as input for a second output (the send to the recorder). It should be the exact same mix.

Matrixes save having to re-program the show, since you don't have to go back and add the send for the recorder into the snapshots you've built.

I tried for a couple of hours to figure it out but I can’t. So, I want to take all my snapshot cues which play through the mains and send them to my video camera. So, I pressed matrix 1 twice which brought up the last 3 faders in amber as L, R and mono. I brought them up to the proper level. Then, while hilighted, I patched the matrix output to the send going to my video camera. I then switched off the matrix and ran my cues. But no sound on the video camera. If I send a normal mix to it, it works fine. Am I going through the sequence properly?

I'm more of a Soundcraft Vi guy. The signal flow is the same but some of the syntax might be different.
The matrix itself has some handles -- a comp, eq, delay, etc. -- as well as a fader to affect the output to your recorder. You'd want the matrix on, and the gain at an appropriate level, to actually be sending to the camera.

I'll just point out that, especially for a small house, it's rarely what you really want to have the main mix be the same as a record or video or streaming mix. Sources like vocals and acoustic instruments, where a significant portion of the audio energy in the house comes directly from the stage and not through the PA system, will be relatively too low in the video compared to things like recorded sound effects and electronic keyboards where all the sound in the house comes via the PA system. Then, too, the equalization and effects (particularly any reverb) suitable for the house are not likely to be ideal for recording or broadcast.

In cases like this, I usually add a postfader aux send (or mixbus or whatever your mixer calls it) to the matrix for the recording and use it to bump up the level of vocals and such and get a more appropriate mix. The ideal situation, of course, is to have a completely dedicated mix--and often a dedicated person to produce said mix--for the recording, but that's presumably not practical.

For a large venue, where practically all the sound the audience hears is from the PA system, it might work out a little better to use the same mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back