Soundcraft Si Expression 3 vs Compact 32 Comparison

One common practice with new digital consoles is to have one of the first things you do be to verify that you are running the latest firmware and to update it if you are not. I don't know if it is related to your problem or not but I know that some early problems with the Si Expression locking up in certain situations were fixed in one of the firmware updates.

Do you already have complicated show files saved? I would just start over. There's really nothing on the SI Compact that you can't easily setup again. It's not like you can repatch all the I/O and such. Hard reset meaning restore factory defaults. And as Brad mentioned, use this time to update the firmware if needed.

oh crap, that means were gonna contact the sound man again and mix it all over after the hard reset? aight man! i'll try to figure out how to update the firmware first or restore to factory defaults

oh crap, that means were gonna contact the sound man again and mix it all over after the hard reset? aight man! i'll try to figure out how to update the firmware first or restore to factory defaults
Digital console recommendation Number 1, save often and not just to the console. Whenever you create something you think you may want to use save it and keep a copy somewhere else. Better to have the files and not need them than to not have them and need them. This is also relevant if you ever have to send a console in for repair, chances are good it will come back in factory default mode and anything you had created will be gone, thus the need to save and save often.

If you are lucky, the person that setup the console may have saved any show or configuration files somewhere that they are is still available once you reset the mixer.

The Si Compact is being discontinued. Other than the price and color there are 2 main differences between the 2:
1. The Expression can be expanded up to 66 inputs, in all 3 frame sizes. The Compact maxes out at 40 inputs to mix.
2. The Expression has no external insert points. The Compact has 4.

If there are any other differences, I'm not aware of what they would be, and I've been in the loop on this product since NAMM.

I don't know the difference but I also have a Compact 32 and love it. It sounds great and is super easy to use. The iPad app is crap, but I hear they're working on a mew version.

hey bishop, have you tried multi track recording with your Si compact? coz i'm trying to find the firewire SI multi digital card for it but i cant find it...
9369-soundcraft-si-expression-3-vs-compact-32-comparison-si_multi_digital_card.jpg

Attachments

• Si_Multi_Digital_Card.jpg
    Si_Multi_Digital_Card.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 4,470
To those of you thinking that the Si sucks because it can't record natively, keep in mind that the x32 is topping at 44.1/48 khz 16 bits versus 96khz 24bits for the Si. For any serious recording, it's non-negligible. For my recordings, I bought an optical madi card, so I can send the main pair to the computer and the other pair to a stagebox, so with one card being able to do two things.

hey bishop, have you tried multi track recording with your Si compact? coz i'm trying to find the firewire SI multi digital card for it but i cant find it...

Sorry, I've been away from CB for a while. No, I really don't do much multitrack recording anymore so I haven't done so with the SI Compact. I'll check on the price and availability of the Firewire card. I share a warehouse with a Soundcraft dealer so I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

Sorry, I've been away from CB for a while. No, I really don't do much multitrack recording anymore so I haven't done so with the SI Compact. I'll check on the price and availability of the Firewire card. I share a warehouse with a Soundcraft dealer so I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

oh thanks! that's awesome, can you please check about their dante card too?

To those of you thinking that the Si sucks because it can't record natively, keep in mind that the x32 is topping at 44.1/48 khz 16 bits versus 96khz 24bits for the Si. For any serious recording, it's non-negligible. For my recordings, I bought an optical madi card, so I can send the main pair to the computer and the other pair to a stagebox, so with one card being able to do two things.

The X32 USB/Firewire interface is 24-bit audio, not limited to 16-bit. If you really want 96kHz, by all means spend the extra $1400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back