Soundcraft SI Impact - FL

Jay Ashworth

Anyone on the west coast of Florida - Tampa metro - got one of these installed, that I could get a look at, and maybe put my fingers on for an hour?

There's about a 1 in 3 chance we're getting a new board this year or next, and this, the SQ-6/7 and the x32 are in the running; I've worked extensively on the Behringer, and our installer guy runs live on the SQ, but I don't have easy access to an Impact.

The Impact has one big issue that bothers me.
The design of the plastic fader "knob" and how it connects to the actual metal fader itself is super poor. After a couple months, you'll quickly slam a fader down and the plastic "knob" will fly off.
Worked for a company that had a few of these consoles and got annoyed enough, I brought my own bottle of super glue to "fix" them all...

Unfortunately not. They're cast as a solid blade with tiny nubbins on the sides.
We had similar issues with Jands Vistas. The guy who decided to glue the buttons back on used too much glue. Glued all 12 buttons in the up position.

I have a friend who’s got some sort of Soundcraft at a church NE of Orlando if you want to drive that far. I don’t remember which of the Soundcraft consoles they have.

Unfortunately I'm on the west coast so can't help you with demo's, but I have mixed on all three of these boards. IMHO the SQ series is a few steps ahead of the others in audio fidelity, build quality, and workflow. Impact and X-32 are decent boards, but since upgrading to the SQ a few weeks ago I won't go back.

Can't help you on the actual topic, but I've limited exprience on a SI Expression, (which i believe software/hardware wise is basically identical?) And I'd much perfer the SQ6/7 or the X32 over the Soundcraft entries at that price/market entry point. The Soundcraft Expression, at least does the job, but it's navigation, setup, menu structure and on desk controls for dynamics/and EQ just are clunky. It's got the features set, It just don't think it's as refined as the other competitors.

But you'll find there are lots of opinions on the various manufacturers and the various price points for hardware around here!

PS and I'd prefer the SQ 6/7 over the x32 (though the X32 is still a fine console, and had the advantage of some level of ubiquity now with rental houses and venues all over)

My reading of the SI Impact -- yes, there appear to be some differences among the SI desks -- is that it's pretty even with the X32 and SQ; "does it do the specific thing you need" is the question for many.

But I like the layout a lot better than the SQ, as well as the "real" meters.

I *do* prefer the split faders layout on the x32, but it's so big and gloopy... and I can't afford another 3 grand for an m32. :-}

I'm nowhere near the "bother someone asking for a sales demo" stage yet, and may not get there; hence the informality of my inquiry.

My reading of the SI Impact -- yes, there appear to be some differences among the SI desks -- is that it's pretty even with the X32 and SQ; "does it do the specific thing you need" is the question for many.

But I like the layout a lot better than the SQ, as well as the "real" meters.

I *do* prefer the split faders layout on the x32, but it's so big and gloopy... and I can't afford another 3 grand for an m32. :-}

I'm nowhere near the "bother someone asking for a sales demo" stage yet, and may not get there; hence the informality of my inquiry.

I just posted a review of my SQ6 in these forums as well to get more detailed information on my thoughts if you.

...and of course Audio is so subjective:
I dislike the X32 split faders :) because the right section can not be set as inputs or customized if I need to mix say 28 channels, 3 DCA's and matrix. (for a 32'fader console I think this was a design misstep, something that if possible should be heavily looked at in a firmware update) ( I do lot of musical Theater). Ironically my SQ6 is only a 24 fader version I know, But If i was looking for the larger form factor of a 32 fader full desk for a large show, i'd be at a SQ7. Because my console isn't used a bunch, I was looking for something that fit my input needs, and was easier to tote around. I'll make due with the 24 faders just as I would on a X32 anyways :)

I got used to the "Chromatic Meter'ing " very quickly, and found it extremely responsive, and a excellent elegant solution to save space and cost. Would a full 10 segment meter, with GR, Gate, and Peak be great like the Dlive/GLD, and X32 have sure. But it was super easy to get used to, and there are multiple meter options for the channel strips on the screen and at every dynamic processing stage as well.

My general thought is; you get used to, what you use, and anything different always feels a little weird at first.

Sure. But I have a functionality reason:

I like being able to set up my DCAs -- on which I do most of my mixing -- and still be able to layer-select when necessary, for a single fader, without either

a) losing my DCAs or
b) having to preprogram the DCAs *onto all 6 layers manually*, as I would on, say, an SI Impact.

So far, the X32 is the only one I see that splits them like that, and I like it. Just that; supports my personal workflow.

If 8 DCAs wasn't enough for me, I'd probably have a different opinion.

At the risk of coming across as just another X32 fanboy, I mixed a musical theater show on an Expression 3 a couple of years ago and HATED it, most obviously due to the lack of DCAs. I would assume that it's had a software upgrade by now to add those.

To the guy who likes to have all his channels visible, I say, embrace DCAs. Other than the halving of I/O which would oblige me to buy another stagebox, I really wish I had an X32 Compact, because I never mix on channels. I just use them for trims to get my DCAs lined up, and having to page to a set of 16 (or 8) for that or for EQ or dynamics tweaks is no big deal.

As for the SQ series, this is probably the first new mixer that would make me think about moving on. I like the UI, and the sound quality is probably a good step up. Also, more channels and no silly routing restrictions. I'm just worried that it's just too new at this point, and I don't know if it has anywhere near the hackability of the X32 (in terms of OSC control and open file formats).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back