Source 4 and Source 4 jnr

Standard S4 ellipsoidal:
- 750 watt lamp capable
- Rotational front lens and shutter section, so better ability to do odd shutter cuts, rotate gobo image
- Interchangable lens tubes, 5 deg. thru 90.
- Standard A & B size gobo's

You lose those features in the Jr. though in the Jr. you can interchange different degree lenses. The Jr. also uses the M size gobo which is an odd size.

Jr's cannot take a 750w lamp like the full-size units can. Even at 575w, a Jr is slightly inferior optically to a full-size and will not be as bright as a 575w full-size. I've used Jr's frequently in a theater where all the full-size units they have are also lamped at 575w. Can't say the difference in brightness has ever been an issue that'd be apparent to anyone but me.

Biggest problem I have with Jr's when I use them is that the gobo's are M-sized, and inability to rotate the barrel. Even without gobo's, not being able to rotate the barrel makes it impossible sometimes to get the shutters to cut on the angles you want them to.

There are certainly good applications for Jr's -- just make sure if you use gobos a lot that need to be properly rotated to work, or if you need precision shutter cuts that you have full-size units around for that.

Derek, you're paying too much for your lights. ;)

Also notable is that ETC isn't releasing an LED version of the Source Four Jr (although they have released an LED version of the Mini.) The Junior is notably smaller and lighter than the full-size Source Four, which occasionally makes it handy to sneak into odd/difficult locations. The lighter weight also makes them a little easier to work with high school and middle-school kids.

Perhaps as a result of the smaller size, I find the Juniors run a lot hotter (to the touch) than their full-size cousins. I've also seena lot more Juniors with the paint flaked off than full-size, outside of architectural situations.

In addition, toys like Seachangers, electronic irises and gobo spinners either are not available or a lot harder to come by in the Jr size. Needing a pair of DMX irises is what finally got the ban on purchasing Source 4s temporarily overturned in one of my venues.

In addition, toys like Seachangers, electronic irises and gobo spinners either are not available or a lot harder to come by in the Jr size. Needing a pair of DMX irises is what finally got the ban on purchasing Source 4s temporarily overturned in one of my venues.

I forgot that one, no accessories such as gobo rotators in the Jr.

We have 72 Jr' zooms in our black box where they work very well as basic area lighting. Good unit for the money

Why was there a ban on source 4s?
Trying to keep S4j as the primary fixture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back