Source 4 Lamp Caps

icewolf08

Controls Integrator
CB Mods
Ok, I know that I have mentioned this before, and people have not believed me or wondered what I was talking about, so I finally go a picture. Here are the two different vintages of ETC Source 4 lamp caps. The early version (fig.1) has four pins on the fixture (circled in red) that mated with the hollow stand-offs on the cap (also in red).

Fig. 1:
olds4-2.jpg

On the newer versions of the fixtures (fig. 2) these pins do not exist, so the stand-offs on the lamp cap are solid. Why this change, i have been told that it was a change in the casting process, and the pins were there for the machinery to grab the fixture by (or something to that effect).

Fig. 2:
news4-2.jpg

In any event, this is why a new lamp cap will not fit on an old fixture, the cap cannot seat correctly because the stand-offs are solid. Yet an old base will fit on a new fixture. However, I have been told by ETC that there is no reason not to grind off the pins on the older fixtures to allow for swapping bases.

What era of Source 4's are the older caps from? Pre-what date?

I'll see if I can get the date code off the one I took the picture of, I don't think that it got hung yet. I believe that it is only the first two generations though.

Very interesting question. As I have about equal numbers of the old and the new style caps, I have tried to figure out the exact date of the change. Two points of interest on that question: 1) most of the serious changes to the Source four occured in 1997. (that is when the retaining spring was added). 2) When I was at LDI in Orlando, this last time, I was talking to the instrument manager, and he wasn't aware of the difference. He said that he had the postion of instrument manager for the last four years.

Very interesting question. As I have about equal numbers of the old and the new style caps, I have tried to figure out the exact date of the change. Two points of interest on that question: 1) most of the serious changes to the Source four occured in 1997. (that is when the retaining spring was added). 2) When I was at LDI in Orlando, this last time, I was talking to the instrument manager, and he wasn't aware of the difference. He said that he had the postion of instrument manager for the last four years.

I believe that was the same time the handle was added on the back, along with the extended yoke due to that handle. Nothing is more annoying then switching out the base cap on a fixture that is in the air then realizing that you can no longer point the fixture down.

...When I was at LDI in Orlando, this last time [November 2007], I was talking to the instrument manager, and he wasn't aware of the difference. He said that he had the position of instrument manager for the last four years.
The current ETC Fixture Manager is TomLittrell, also a member of ControlBooth. Another member, STEVETERRY appears to have some knowledge concerning the SourceFour™.

Isnt the difference from when they went from the 575w rating to the 750 rating. I have all 575w rated fixtures except for two 750w rated that have these difference and their caps wont fit on the bodies of the 575w.

The 750w lamps also have a stand off on them that fits into a hole that is not on the 575w bases.

The 750w lamps also have a stand off on them that fits into a hole that is not on the 575w bases.

Indeed, and there is a second hole that is usually covered by screw for the third pin on dimmer-double lamps (77v HPLs). However, if you update the wiring in your fixture (for the increased heat and load), it is OK to drill out a hole in the cap to accommodate a 750W HPL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back