Conventional Fixtures Source 4s breaking

ematson5897

I work at a church that has ~40 source 4s, and they are beginning to stop working at an alarming rate. The electrical connection between the dimmer drop and the bulb seems to be failing. Is there any known issue that would cause this? or any solution to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Check the sockets - they are not a "life of the fixture" item and need to be changed every 8 years or so (more or less depending on usage). Check the connector also. Maybe you have someone yanking them by the cords and causing the leads to come loose.

Last edited:
BMI Supply, production advantage, you nearby theatrical retailer, or wherever you buy lamps. It is a fairly simple procedure after you have done one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Be aware of "Socket Cancer."
Basically, once a lamp has been used in a bad socket, do not put that lamp into a fixture with a good socket or that socket will be damaged and fail as well. That's how one bad socket can start an epidemic of bad sockets.

These sockets don't seem to be the same as the ones on my source 4s. Does this mean mine are the old ones and I need to buy those conversion kits?

These sockets don't seem to be the same as the ones on my source 4s. Does this mean mine are the old ones and I need to buy those conversion kits?
If the socket grips tight and there are no burns or pitting on the lamp base pins, then there is no need to change them. If, irrelevant of age, the socket does not grip tight, shows signs of contact burns, then change the socket. If you remove a working lamp and the pins are heat damaged, set it aside and don't use it. Never put a lamp with heat damaged pins in a good socket and never put a good lamp in a heat damaged socket. Yes, maybe the "Socket STDs" is a better description of the problem.

It is just like an STI. It is passed through contact(s). A good lamp can get it from a bad socket, and vice versa.

At my (soon to be former) place of employment I have a big box full of BTL lamps with charred bottom contacts from before my time there. I keep it around as a reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Good Morning

There is the old style, 4 piece kit
& the new 1 piece socket
Check with your dealer or ETC if your dealer doesn't know which part will fit in your fixture.
Both types require you to replace the wire all the way back to the connector.

Where in the USA are you?

Good Luck & let us know how you do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back