Source 4WRD vs. Source Four LED

Swade White

Hello ControlBooth, I have been researching different LEDs from ETC for our front of house electrics. I am debating on either retrofitting the 30 existing Source Four's with the Source 4WRD or just completely going with colored LEDs with the Source Four Lustr. What do you guys recommend? I'm leaning towards the Source 4WRD because if we bought 30 Lustr's then we would have 30 conventional Source Fours just sitting in the storage room.

Get the Lustrs , sell half the conventials keep the other half for specials.

Hello ControlBooth, I have been researching different LEDs from ETC for our front of house electrics. I am debating on either retrofitting the 30 existing Source Four's with the Source 4WRD or just completely going with colored LEDs with the Source Four Lustr. What do you guys recommend? I'm leaning towards the Source 4WRD because if we bought 30 Lustr's then we would have 30 conventional Source Fours just sitting in the storage room.

You can purchase just the Lustre 2 light engine/rear half and re-use your existing S4 front barrel. I think you get a bit more light of of a Lustre 2 with HD lenses, but I'd still take a color changing fixture any day, if only as you need fewer fixtures than S4 adapted to 4WRD with gels.

Really it depends on where they're being used / what their typical application is....if you're normally putting a deep color in them (i.e. template wash, colored backlight, etc), then the full-color-changing (i.e. Lustr or ColorSource) would be a good choice.
However, if you're mainly using them for a front wash, i.e. no-color or something fairly unsaturated, you're probably better off going with the 4WRD or one of the white-LED versions (if you're color-correcting to anything blue, the Daylight units have some fantastic output at that color temp!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back