source for way oversized acrylic sheets

kicknargel

Every news desk in the world is topped with a giant, seamless piece of acrylic. I'm building one, and so far the biggest I can find is 72" x 144". Other than a custom production run with huge minimums, anyone know a secret source?

I'm no expert, but I know the camera hides a lot. (we did a news set once, not the desk though) expertly formed acrylic seams can disappear pretty easily...

If I recall correctly it can be fused and polished to almost look like one sheet. The more opaque it is the more invisible the results.

Sabic, formerly GE Polymer Shapes is where I used to order custom sized Acrylic and Lexan products. Yes there are tons of stock sizes but you can get custom sizes. Many have mentioned that you can make a seam disappear; that is not entirely true and it requires years of expertise and a lot of highly tuned equipment. Any amateur can make a seam in a piece of 1/4 inch 'practically' disappear, making a seam in a 1" thick table top disappear is a different story altogether.

Many have mentioned that you can make a seam disappear; that is not entirely true and it requires years of expertise and a lot of highly tuned equipment. Any amateur can make a seam in a piece of 1/4 inch 'practically' disappear, making a seam in a 1" thick table top disappear is a different story altogether.

True, thicker is harder. I've only ever seamed up to 3/4", but in my experience, with proper, meticulous prep work (square, straight edges, sanding edges to high grit, clean off hand oils, test clamping your work pieces), and consistent, even cement application, you can get a bubble free seam. Visible evidence is a hairline on the face and some light refraction on the edge. News desks are usually viewed from the front or slightly angled to the side, so you can hide your seam by running it perpendicular to the cameras view. Of course this ignores OP's intent of just buying a sheet big enough for the job :D. Sorry for the tangent

Thanks for the lead, everyone (and keep 'em coming). I wasn't aware that seaming could get so close to seamless, with enough craftsmanship. Not positive this is the right project to try it for the first time. . .

Thanks for the lead, everyone (and keep 'em coming). I wasn't aware that seaming could get so close to seamless, with enough craftsmanship. Not positive this is the right project to try it for the first time. . .

Get a couple of different sizes and try to make some seams disappear on some left over scrap. Practice makes perfect.

When we've had to seam something too, once its together part of the edge cleaning and polishing is essentially torching the edge to heat and smooth it. but thats for stuff around an inch thick.

When we've had to seam something too, once its together part of the edge cleaning and polishing is essentially torching the edge to heat and smooth it.

you're saying you flame polish the edges before you seam it? I've never done it that way, we always sand to 220 or higher then seam, the solvent will clear up the frosty edge. The reasoning I was taught is that the solvent has more material to "melt" with a sanded surface (ie, the little micro ridges from the sanding) But that's the way we've always done it, so I haven't tried seaming two flame polished edges and can't compare the two processes.

Also we've had bad experiences trying to flame polish the surface of a sheet to clean up a seam. maybe its the torch we use, (standard propane torch), but there always seem to be ghost marks where the edge of the heat meets the acrylic, if that makes sense.

here's the latest acrylic job we did. skipped the seaming and bolted everything together haha

IMG_4775.JPG

you're saying you flame polish the edges before you seam it? I've never done it that way, we always sand to 220 or higher then seam, the solvent will clear up the frosty edge. The reasoning I was taught is that the solvent has more material to "melt" with a sanded surface (ie, the little micro ridges from the sanding) But that's the way we've always done it, so I haven't tried seaming two flame polished edges and can't compare the two processes.

Also we've had bad experiences trying to flame polish the surface of a sheet to clean up a seam. maybe its the torch we use, (standard propane torch), but there always seem to be ghost marks where the edge of the heat meets the acrylic, if that makes sense.

You want to use Mapp gas for finishing propane just doesn't do it right.

https://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/threads/flame-finishing-and-working-with-acrylic-edges.21400/

Agreed on the sanding, I wasn't clear. And I believe we use Mapp gas and a small torch as Amiers mentioned and haven't had issues to my knowledge, but I'm not the one doing most of the flaming so I can't say for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back