Source four disassembly

At my school we can’t afford new parts, so we end up cannibalizing old, broken S4 caps. I’m trying to pull a grounding wire out of this, but the assembly doesn’t seem to have any releases or movable screws. It’s an older model, at least pre-2004, but no one knows how much older. How do I get this grounding wire out?
C18AB50B-1018-488B-A8B2-7462C0A50BFE.jpeg
FAEFCA91-A0B1-4CB6-AD0D-74D522BCEB51.jpeg
34391AA7-F76E-43C4-BB3C-D8B3EFEAA19C.jpeg
51E67E4D-F2A2-4958-9E2C-CAF1924DC1F8.jpeg
DF7BA866-AF04-4471-BEC1-67A72668FD05.jpeg
0E7EFC02-B9B9-469C-8BEB-B95CBFF22DFB.jpeg

Attachments

• D1620D11-0BA4-4D6D-B3A7-1B9F2BCB75DF.jpeg
    D1620D11-0BA4-4D6D-B3A7-1B9F2BCB75DF.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 111
  • D58D84E1-FE1F-4C60-8053-AD4D3261866D.jpeg
    D58D84E1-FE1F-4C60-8053-AD4D3261866D.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 135
ETC's website is your friend in situations such as this, I think you'll find what you need on page 6: https://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737459854, however the external handle and lamp retention wire indicate that it is more likely a 2004 or later cap, in which case page 3 of this will help you: https://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737481835

What are you trying to achieve with this cap? I do believe that the wiring harness is at least a different gauge between pre and post Jan '04, perhaps @ship can explain and offer suggestions.

Welcome to the booth! Don't be afraid to post any follow up questions and the results of your work! Everyone here has been in a similar situation, and would be happy to offer ideas and solutions. Best of luck on your theater journey!

While I have literally taken apart down to base parts, and worked on hundreds of Leko's over the years - Altman/Colortran/Strand/L&E .. etc! And indeed was doing the initial ETC specified drilling for the pin hole "fix" for converting ETC 575w lamp caps so they would take a 750w lamp at work when the new lamp caps were not sufficiently in supply... I have never actualy officially worked in the Leko prep. department on such fixtures.

A bit more experience over the years with the S-4 Leko in at times helping them in fighting a bench focus in attempting to help prep them for a show.. normally when I helped them, it was normally me that found or was given a fixture that would not bench.

On the S-4, these days, normally I'm the siezed adjustment removal of the entire mechanism person to get it off for replacement. I do remember it was a wire gauge issue. Ground wire should not be a problem in such a upgrade. Ground wire crimp ring terminal is also incredibly hard to source out other than thru ETC as an assembly.

Mostly over the years in other than helping to prep them at times, or getting a stuck focus adjustment bolt/knob off... I don't work with the brand much.

There's a plastic knob missing that should be on the brass bit... this would be easier to describe if you could see me pointing at the pictures... If you use a pair of pliers or something on that brass insert, you should be able to unscrew it and complete the disassembly. The missing plastic part is supposed to be the z-axis control when bench focusing, and normally you would have to unscrew it before being able to remove the larger x/y knob. This might be more apparent if you have a non-broken one to compare it with.

There gets to be a point where you need new parts and for safety's sake they must be purchased. There is a good chance that this fixture is in need of a new ceramic to fix it. The place wher you buy lamps should carry them. They are a couple of bucks. The fact that you need to replace a ground wire on another fixture begs me to ask why and what caused it to fail. If the picture of the base does indeed show that it is burned out from shorting then you really should check all of your fixtures when re-lamping. You need to go to the powers that be and explain that this needed maintainance.

There gets to be a point where you need new parts and for safety's sake they must be purchased. There is a good chance that this fixture is in need of a new ceramic to fix it. The place wher you buy lamps should carry them. They are a couple of bucks. The fact that you need to replace a ground wire on another fixture begs me to ask why and what caused it to fail. If the picture of the base does indeed show that it is burned out from shorting then you really should check all of your fixtures when re-lamping. You need to go to the powers that be and explain that this needed maintainance.
@Lextech OMG! You used the 'M' word and on a public forum!!
I trust you realize the 'M' word is forbidden in many venues, particularly in non IA or IBEW unionized venues.
Perhaps if you run outside, rotate three times, and say. . . Oh, no, that nullifies a different curse.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Exploded pictorials in part numbers or circles around what you are having problems with, and or photos would be easier to help solve problems with. On the S-4 new parts replacement are normally the solution once you get them removed - at times hard to do on some parts like the Z focus.. Once better understood the problem (s), tips and techniques can better be shared.

Older generation porcalians and mica's I also have a stock pile of, though normally if they need replacement, the cups to the lamp base is also bad in just replacing with the all in one lamp socket assembly.

Sorry, didn't see the photos above.... Lamp socket toast i think.

As to why that knob came out I think more because those parts I often have to remove, nobody where I work has done or thought of that that beffore including me.

The main question is if the 1/4 knob pulled off was the problem or the like 3/8 NPT fitting it's inside of was the problem? I can certainly see thread problems whith the 3/8 threading part and if so normal flaw. Hard to get off, but bought parts to replace.

I note the gloves in taking the photos. My Wife wears them and long sleeves when working with fiberglass. I have never had a problem with fiberglass including when using it on household insulation. I also note a lot of employees at work wearing such gloves in just dealing with cable (icky goo from electrical tape used in looming them) or fixtures from exposure to pyro dust, (and getting fresh ones every break which costs a lot of money.) Can't buy latex gloves because of how many female employees we have on staff.

I'm old school obviously and never considered gloves, or if gloves they were self bought leather types.

Wash hands and get work calasis on the hands. Am I way out of bounds in even delaying restocking the gloves i think abused? Legally or in general, I was not provided free gloves to wear and change out every break, and in fact all employees are provided work gloves they could wear these days, I wasn't in having to buy my own. Gear I worked in the back aisle in slinging cable with is no different that what's exposed to for modern people working there. Yea, electrical tape gets gooy on a loom during the summer. Wash your hands, or especially gooy, spray Goof Off on your hands ane clean them to get it off than immediately wash them.

Gone, good. I don't get the next generation in even if provided cut resistant work gloves.. such a need of medical grade gloves. (Mambie Pambie) Educate me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back