Source Four Followspot

I was wondering about doing this for our middle school in town. We currently use (2) Altman Follow Spot with Stand - 1000 Watts (110V AC) that are shared with the high school they get beat up when they are transported so we were looking for a cheeper solution for the middle school. We have altman shakespeares on are cat walks. I was wondering if they would also work well for this. I also was wondering how to mount them and where to get the iris.

I'm sure you can source an iris that will fit your Shakespeares from any theatrical supply house. They may have to order it, but they are available. As far as mounting goes, to my knowledge there are no "Shalespeare on a stick" provisions on the market. You might just have to attach it to a stand and loosen the tilt knobs as noted above.
One thing though, those Shakespeares are super long and front heavy. You might need to tie some heavy washers to the rear handle to help balance it. Maybe even a cinder block or two ;).

Another revival from the dead - How does the noise of the color changer compare to the Altman? We're in a gymnatorium middle school situation, and where our spots have to live, the "ka-CHUNK" of the frame changing is ridiculously noticeable.

Its time to replace one of my spots anyway, and wondering if the S4 would get me a quieter option?

Sorry to bring this one back from the digital dead, but I have a relevant question. For anyone who has used a "source 4 on a stick", what would be an easy way to make a stand for it? Also, how do you personally make your handles (if you make them). Thanks in advance.
Here is an article for an ERS Follow Spot Stand from the 1999 USITT Tech Expo. It is essentially a piece of 1" cold roll welded to flat bar that the ERS yoke is attached to. The cold roll slips into a flange bearing attached to a 1 1/2" pipe flange threaded on to a 1 1/2" pipe. Pipe can thread into a boom base or Rota-Lock / Kee-Klamp to rail. Makes for a smooth pan. Tilt by adjusting T-handle on yoke. We used gloves rather than creating a handle for pan/tilt.

Attachments

• ERS Followspot Stand.pdf
    228 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3680.JPG
    IMG_3680.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back