Source four help - Broken unit?

Hi, everyone. Just wanted to ask for some guidance on a newly bought source four. How hard is it to 1) turn the inner knob for flat field adjustment, and 2) to remove the lamp from the socket?

Even the most minor turn on the knob is next to impossible, and it could only turn about 20 degrees maximum (and with the most amount of effort). Do I have a defective unit? As to removing the lamp from the socket, is it normal for a new unit for it to be so tight? It took me a good 15 minutes to do it, trying both a gentle and a robust approach. Could someone help please?

Many thanks,
J

Lamp from socket shouldn't be that difficult. Make sure your releasing the metal retainer. As for rotating the knob. That can be sticky at first. I sometime use a crescent wrench to get it moving. If using a wrench, exercise caution and don't over do it.

Hi, ed. After having spoken with the resellers who also checked with their in-house tech and stock, I shouldn't have the difficulty in question. I am only able to turn the inner knob (outer one moves fine) with the help of a wrench and some cloth to protect the plastic outer casing. And even then, there is a lot of squeaking, which, if I'm right, suggests the pin or nut inside the whole mechanism has become stuck or too tight for use. Have yet to hear from the suppliers and see what they have to say. I'd appreciate some feedback from others who have had experience similar issues before, to help this along. Thanks, ed! Now at least I know I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Is it possible that the knob for bench focusing the lamp has been cross-threaded? That would make it really difficult to turn, and possibly also cause the squeaking.

From time to time our bench focus knobs get sticky. I usually just tap them out to clean the threads . As for the lamps they are sometimes sticky for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back