Conventional Fixtures Source Four vs. Source Four Junior

Swivel yokes, really? The only time I've used them was for an install where the pipes were not horizontal, but at an angle sloping downward. They worked very well for that application, but I could have done the same thing for less money with sidearms.

For calculations, you might find use in my Photometric Excel Workbook.

Yeah I've never even seen a swivel yoke. I'm sure they have their uses but a side arm will handle most of the same problems for less money.

Well, I've had to mount some lights in some pretty odd locations, including on a ceiling-mounted basketball hoop. We still have to do some odd stuff in the theater, though, since it was originally built as a high school commons and only converted to an actual theater about five years ago; hell, we're only now getting acoustic paneling this summer, and we still don't have an actual control booth. Our current house lighting system (which is also getting replaced this summer, thankfully) consists of a bunch of gym-style fluorescents, so I have two PAR cans hanging that I shine on the walls before they're running all the way; those things are hanging from diagonal pipes near the ceiling.

Thankfully I'll get to take those things down after the new houselights get installed, but I still have to do funky stuff every once in a while, like hang a couple of ellipsoidals (also off of random pipes and I-beams) to blind the audience during an actor swap, as in the transformation scene during Beauty and the Beast. Those yokes are definitely pricey, but they might come in handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back