Source4 Bench Focus Cross-threaded

Chuck Reece

Hi All,

We just did our first lighting maintenance week in a couple of (o.k. 5, don't get me started) years, and we came across 4 or 5 Source 4 (1999 model) units that the bench nut for centering the lamp would not budge. In trying, we broke off the plastic thumb tabs, and now we can't even move the nut with a socket.

Does anyone have a trick for freeing these up? I'd rather not buy a while new cap if I have to for all those units.

Thanks!
Chuck

Hi All,

We just did our first lighting maintenance week in a couple of (o.k. 5, don't get me started) years, and we came across 4 or 5 Source 4 (1999 model) units that the bench nut for centering the lamp would not budge. In trying, we broke off the plastic thumb tabs, and now we can't even move the nut with a socket.

Does anyone have a trick for freeing these up? I'd rather not buy a while new cap if I have to for all those units.

Thanks!
Chuck
@Chuck Reece Hello! You're not going to want to hear this now but one of the best answers is the application of what machinists call "anti-galling" compound, or "anti-galling" lubricant upon the initial assembly. Control Booth's search function may dredge up a thread for you as I recall us discussing this at length here on at least one occasion.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Take a picture.

But first thing that comes to mind is spot weld another nut on the nut and take it off that way.

You will save th cap and just have to replace the nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back