Sources for 1/2” & 1/4” scale furniture

MPowers

Oh great Control Booth hive mind, please help this old senile mind recall just where to find scale model furniture, specifically 1/4” & 1/2”. I used to design a lot of scenery but somewhere in the late ‘80s, I morphed more and more into project management, rigging system design and install, etc. Now that I’m retired (3rd try, may stick this time!) I find I have time to serve on the board of a local Theatre Company, The Carousel Theatre of Indianola , and to design scenery again. I’a looking for sources to find scale model furniture. Any suggestions will be welcomed, TIA.

These days, a 3D printer may be your best option for furniture for a physical maquette. Those things have taken away a lot of the market for specialty products like miniature furniture.

I went virtual with Capture several years ago and haven't built one since then. If I had to, I'd probably use my hobby CNC to cut out something from foam core or acrylic sheet.

3D printing really is the answer. After the initial investment you can print things at that scale for pennies if your doing it yourself. I think at this point it's something most prop departments should own anyway.

Here's a search for scale furniture just to give you a small idea of what's already out there just waiting to be scaled to whatever size you need and printed.

Thanks for the suggestions re 3D printers. However, a 3D printer is not on my current list of affordable items, and I definitely don’t have the computer skills to do the programming. I’m a “Pre-Boomer”, A-Cad, Word & ExCell are my total list of computer skill capabilities!! I’ll take a look around at print shops and see who might have that service and how much.

Any other hints or suggestions will still be appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions re 3D printers. However, a 3D printer is not on my current list of affordable items, and I definitely don’t have the computer skills to do the programming. I’m a “Pre-Boomer”, A-Cad, Word & ExCell are my total list of computer skill capabilities!! I’ll take a look around at print shops and see who might have that service and how much.

Any other hints or suggestions will still be appreciated.
Someone associated with your theater company probably owns a 3D printer, that would get you faster turn around and presumably cheaper prices. All you would need to do is find the design you wanted and let them know what dimensions/scale you wanted it to be.

Standard dollhouse furnishings are usually 1/12 scale {1"= 1 foot} but 1/24 and 1/48 scale items are available.

Thanks! This looks like. It has some possibilities!

Also it seems like 1/48 scale is very close to model railroading "0" scale so there might be something usable there.

If you need a cast of characters perhaps this from Woodland Scenics would help:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back