Sound f/x Sourcing a functioning prop in Toronto

BrianK

Hello all,

My name is Brian Kenny - I'm new to the forum and am on a quest to find a "functioning" reel to reel all in one recorder. I say "Functioning" as I plan to make all the content playback through an external speaker I will build into the table, so the unit need only look like it's working (rewind, fast forward, play, etc).

Anyone know of a place in Toronto that may have one of these?

The show takes place in St. John's, Newfoundland but I am here in Ontario for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks,
-B

proxy.php

Many reel to reel machines have died due to failing rubber mechanical components, like pulleys and belts. That's especially true of the consumer models, like Akai and Teac. The model I would have a lot of confidence in is an Otari 5050 BII. Direct drive, simple, bullet proof design, and one of the last in production. Tascams were cheaply made. ebay might be your best bet for finding one. Some radio stations might have them collecting dust in storage. Befriend some broadcast engineers and ask around who collects the old stuff.

Tape is also going to be an issue. A lot of old tape stock develops "sticky shed" where the adhesive that holds the oxide to the base migrates to the surface. It has so much friction that it cannot be dragged across the tape heads, and the oxide comes off of it. If you load a tape and the machine refuses to run, it is as likely the tape as a machine problem, so I suggest buying a reel of fresh tape. AFAIK, the only source of good, new reel to reel tape is a company called Quantegy.

A pawn shop is easily your best bet to locate something like this. As mentioned above, take a good reel of tape (and maybe even a takeup reel) with you to check out the machine's operation. Use the phone book and let your fingers do the walking to see who has one. Good luck.

A pawn shop is easily your best bet to locate something like this. As mentioned above, take a good reel of tape (and maybe even a takeup reel) with you to check out the machine's operation. Use the phone book and let your fingers do the walking to see who has one. Good luck.
+1. There are many pawn shops on Church Street between Queen and Dundas and on Queen east of Church.

Andre

Geez, used to have one I'd give you but a tornado ate it a few years ago (no I am not kidding). I can't think of anyone in the GTA off hand who I know would have one. Perhaps give the colleges a call?
I know Sheridan HAD some bigger reel-to-reels Nick V. or Andrew M. might be able to help you out perhaps.

Other than that try antique and pawn shops, and hope for the best. Might also contact prop departments of small or med sized theatre companies in the area.
I seem to remember seeing one at Blyth but its across the Provence.

Thanks all.

I've got some hits already!

Will keep you posted on what I find and how it turns out!

Cheers,
B

Is this by any chance for Death of a Salesman? ...
DoaS specifies a wire recorder*, not reel-to-reel. Though I suppose some liberties might be taken, provided it's not a Sony Walkman or somesuch. So attention must be paid.

*Yes, the production I did in college used an actual, functioning unit (that surprisingly wasn't terribly difficult to source).:angryoldman:

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back