South Korean Halloween Party stampede

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
100,000 people were out celebrating Halloween in Seoul South Korea today. Aparently some people thought they saw a celebrity and the crowd surged. Currently 146 are dead and hundreds more are in the hospital, many remain in critical condition so the death toll may rise.

Here's an article from AP.

100,000 people were out celebrating Halloween in Seoul South Korea today. Aparently some people thought they saw a celebrity and the crowd surged. Currently 146 are dead and hundreds more are in the hospital, many remain in critical condition so the death toll may rise.

Here's an article from AP.
That's....awful.
If anyone missed it, looks like the latest Event Safety Alliance podcast talks about these sorts of situations just days before happening.

Event Safety Podcast

I can’t recommend enough any of the ESA crowd safety classes. I attended the one in September hosted at Furman University with Eric Stuart and it changed my perspective on so many things. As I stated on my Facebook page, why would a rigger take the course? So I can work better with the other members of the event team. Understanding what the crowd manager is trying to accomplish helps me do my job better. AND I now know what to look for for my own personal safety too!

I can’t recommend enough any of the ESA crowd safety classes. I attended the one in September hosted at Furman University with Eric Stuart and it changed my perspective on so many things. As I stated on my Facebook page, why would a rigger take the course? So I can work better with the other members of the event team. Understanding what the crowd manager is trying to accomplish helps me do my job better. AND I now know what to look for for my own personal safety too!
^^^ THIS.

Years ago when it was more common for venue (especially clubs) to chain , barricade or otherwise block emergency exits to prevent unpaid intruders, I made a point of finding the exits closest to FOH and walk the routes, ascertain if the doors actually opened, and what was on the other side. Think of fire or active shooter situations...

And a reminder that ALL OF US need a company, venue, and personal emergency action plan, including rally point and off-site contact, cellphone and other contact info for every worker, etc. When I'm a call steward for my IATSE Local, I carry the most recent copy of the worker list. If we have an emergency and I can't locate a stagehand I have a way to attempt contact. If I can't locate workers I notify the AHJ of how many, where they were likely working, and give a physical/clothing description if I can.

Remember: nobody should die for a good time.

Looking for a way to get something like this on my calendar; I'm around crowds a bit and I know it's gonna be, at the least, a personal benefit to know what's up.

Looking for a way to get something like this on my calendar; I'm around crowds a bit and I know it's gonna be, at the least, a personal benefit to know what's up.
NAMM has had a pretty full selection of Event Safety Alliance and ESTA classes in recent years. Maybe we will get some pure understanding crowd behavior content in the future. Are you listening NAMM?

NAMM has had a pretty full selection of Event Safety Alliance and ESTA classes in recent years. Maybe we will get some pure understanding crowd behavior content in the future. Are you listening NAMM?
I'm about to sign up for 2023 NAMM. Oh, and the blackout calendars keep getting a little better all the time for that other place we like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back