Speaker Recommendations

peacefulone61

So we really have our hearts set on a db audio set of speakers. I think our budget is going to allow it. I was looking at recomondatiins for a more budget friendly line that has similar performance

We are a small black box with exposed wood superstructure and flexable seating we are looking at passive speakers a powered sub and two powered monitors. Something around a 10-12" driver. Thank you for your suggestions.

D&B speakers are the bee's knees, but yes, that quality comes at premium price. While I think that some of the best sounding systems I've worked on were with D&B speakers, for a black box I don't know that they would be my first selection as they are an expensive solution for a room that may use them primarily as effects speakers.

There is a lot more that goes into choosing the right speaker for the application than by selecting a quality manufacturer. The best loudspeaker is the one's that right for your room, for your intended use, and for your budget. You could have the best voice reinforcement system in the world but it would be wholly inappropriate for rock n' roll. Similarly, if you're doing theater only and your room's acoustics allow you to not have to mic your actors, then it would be of arguable value to spend your money on top of the line speakers that will only be used for sound effects.

Can you tell us a little more about your room size, ceiling height, wall surfaces (acoustically treated, untreated, cinder block, etc), typical layouts, whether you mic your actors, and what would your pain threshold be in price for a new system?

Presumably you'll need to use the system for effects. Will you also need to use it for rock n' roll type music or for miking your performers?

How are you intending on mounting your speakers? Speaker on a stick? Suspended permanently? Hung from a pipe grid?

Do you have an existing system in place? If so, what is it and what are its shortcomings?

It is a 200 year old converted barn. About half of the space has a height of ~11' this is the area the audience sits in and the sides of the space the grid is 18' and then above that is a slope ceiling going up to ~30' the sides are all well seasoned wood. I would put the space at roughly 35' x 80' about 50% of the time we are in

We only mic actors for musicals

The goal of the system is effects for plays reinforment for musicals, music for dance concerts and a house system for music concerts.

Our ideal setup will be 8 passive speakers ceiling mount with swivels. And the ability to add in a powered sub and powered monitor.

Right now we have a warfdale speakers in amps these have been well abused and are no longer functioning at a responsible level. I am planning on adding at least a limiter into the system to hopefully prevent the damage that current system has undergone. Dance tends to run the system a bit hard trying to feel the sound that is why we are looking at adding a sub.

Right now we have about 10k budgeted for speakers and amps

You could expect a pair of db S8 speakers and amp to run about $4500 min. for equipment. I think they (4) would be more then loud enough for your space, 8 would likely be too many of these. Your local distributor could come by and do a room analysis for you and give you the best choice for your room. db is trying to break into the install world, so they are trying to assist distributors in getting their gear into venues.

The only way I see being able to do it though without blowing your budget too much would be to only use 3-5 speakers on a single 4ch amplifier. If you have to buy a second 10D amplifier, you'll blow the better part of your $10K on just amplification. The most probable solution would be to do a L/C/R/Sub, or L/LC+RC/R/Sub.

Couple things to know about d&b on the outset. They require you to use their amplifiers, which have all of the internal DSP & filtering specifically for each and every speaker model in their product line. They typically will not let you mix and match their product with someone else's except under special circumstances. If you try and do this low cost and they don't think it's going to work, they may pull the plug on you rather than let a system that isn't appropriate for you room. You will need to pay for d&b or a d&b partner to tune the completed system. This varies by project but for budgeting let's say it's $3k/day + travel, and a system your size could probably be done in one day.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but for $10k it's improbable even if you installed it yourself.

If -- knowing all of this -- you still want to see if this is viable or not, send me some measurements of the layout of your room with a section and some photos and I can toss a quick model together and see what a possible ballpark is for you.

(FYI, I'm moving across the country this weekend. I don't mind volunteering my time, but the sooner the better.)

The only way I see being able to do it though without blowing your budget too much would be to only use 3-5 speakers on a single 4ch amplifier. If you have to buy a second 10D amplifier, you'll blow the better part of your $10K on just amplification. The most probable solution would be to do a L/C/R/Sub, or L/LC+RC/R/Sub.

Couple things to know about d&b on the outset. They require you to use their amplifiers, which have all of the internal DSP & filtering specifically for each and every speaker model in their product line. They typically will not let you mix and match their product with someone else's except under special circumstances. If you try and do this low cost and they don't think it's going to work, they may pull the plug on you rather than let a system that isn't appropriate for you room. You will need to pay for d&b or a d&b partner to tune the completed system. This varies by project but for budgeting let's say it's $3k/day + travel, and a system your size could probably be done in one day.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but for $10k it's improbable even if you installed it yourself.

If -- knowing all of this -- you still want to see if this is viable or not, send me some measurements of the layout of your room with a section and some photos and I can toss a quick model together and see what a possible ballpark is for you.

(FYI, I'm moving across the country this weekend. I don't mind volunteering my time, but the sooner the better.)
What would be the file type to send you.

If you have the room CAD'd up, you can send me a DWG or DXF. If you have it in Vectorworks you should be able to export into either of those. Otherwise "pencil-CAD" or Sketchup will do.

Make sure you mark in the plan view which areas are typically audience seating.

You can email that to me at: [email protected]

Give a call to your local D&B distributor... that would be SAVI. They can set you up with a rough quote before they start driving. 10k is going to be next to impossible at your budget. 8-10 boxes is going to set you back at least 30k, if not 40k.

With the cash you have you are pretty much looking at an EAW or EV system. Even that would be pushing it. Truly, your best bet would be to get a handful of QSC KW122's and two KW118 and hang them where you need them per show. Easy install, matched system, and you are done. Otherwise, take a look at EAW JF stuff and QSC amps. You will have to either use built in processors in the amp or a cheap DBX processor. You should be able to get something that works. It won't be D&B, but it'll do.

The eaw redline series are powered, but have sounded amazing in every situation I've heard them in. They can also be used as wedges if needed. Great coverage and your budget would probably allow for 4 of the 15" boxes. They have a new mid size lineup coming out soon as well I believe. Not passive or d&b but another high quality option none the less...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back