Speaker Test

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vhtje97km4m713j/AABEFdcsEKGVQRj4SwOi6LzHa?dl=0

Binks audio test CD. Has numerous sweep tracks and different tone tracks to test speakers with. However these days, a lot of digital consoles and other devices probably have all this stuff built in, so you might not need the CD. If you need the tracks, they're above, though.

After that, I usually play a track *I* am very familiar with - and have listened to enough to know what it sounds like in my sleep. This often helps me find weird EQ'ing or balance issues. That all backed up by RTA, of course. It also depends on the genre of the event that I'm running or amplifying sound for. Are you simply testing the cabinet for functionality, or trying to tune a room?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vhtje97km4m713j/AABEFdcsEKGVQRj4SwOi6LzHa?dl=0

Binks audio test CD. Has numerous sweep tracks and different tone tracks to test speakers with. However these days, a lot of digital consoles and other devices probably have all this stuff built in, so you might not need the CD. If you need the tracks, they're above, though.

After that, I usually play a track *I* am very familiar with - and have listened to enough to know what it sounds like in my sleep. This often helps me find weird EQ'ing or balance issues. That all backed up by RTA, of course. It also depends on the genre of the event that I'm running or amplifying sound for. Are you simply testing the cabinet for functionality, or trying to tune a room?
It is more of a I'm trying to find a good speaker testing to balance the Subs and the tops with. And when you say most digital consoles have something built in are you talking about Pink Noise?

Are you trying to do a technical "ring" of the auditorium, or just get it to sound the way you want? If the latter, then I would go with Aaron's suggestion of playing a few full-range songs that you are very familiar with. If you are looking for a few suggestions, here are ones that I like, that allow me to gauge the balance of base and high end.

* Mother -- Pink Floyd The Wall
* The Castle Hall -- Aryeon
* You Belong To Me -- Shrek the Musical Soundtrack
* Call Me Irresponsible -- Michael Buble

Any proper tuning of a room is going to involve running some white & pink noise, and whatever other tones you find helpful. Then run some songs you are really familiar with. No one track is going to do it all. So, I like to use Light My Fire by the Doors first, because it is an easy please that helps me hunt down panning and level issues extremely quickly, due to how heavily panned the original mix is. Then it’s Sex Changes by Dresden Dolls, for something with real punch to it and wide ranging mix. Then I wrap up with Meaningless from Pain of Salvation, as a final check for clarity and second opinion, since I’ve mixed a couple of their tours and that song is not only killer, but live has a lot of backing tracks so was a good way to test the room before the band got up. And that song ended up sticking with me after the last tour.

All of this is while using frequency analyzers of course. And walking the room. Your best bet is to add something to your personal mix that goes with whatever theme the show is. A musical, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back