Loudspeakers Speakers/Amps--good combo?

Blah067;93104I just like the control of the amps I guess. I've worked with these cabs before said:
system[/autolink].
When it comes to amps, the less control the better.

You are correct, my mistake.

There are a number of very good powered speakers for a variety of applications and over a wide price range available now.

These seem to be rather overgeneralized statements. Not only do several 'passive' speaker manufacturers offer external processors that do just about everything noted, but many speaker manufacturers offer the same processor setting information for users to input into external processors. I would disagree with the assertion that the crossover and EQ will inherently be better in active speakers, it may make a good result more of a 'no brainer' but if you know what you are doing you can often do better yourself for your specific application. Also keep in mind that the internal processing in powered speakers is only for that individual speaker, you often still want external processing to address the effects of arraying, the room, device time alignment and just how it sounds.

Agreed, for that specific application. Do be aware that many powered speakers have 'pin 1' problems and if you end up with something like the mixer, left and right speakers on three different power circuits you could have hum and noise problems, so it is best to be ready with extension cords, input transformers or whatever else is necessary should this happen.

Yes, I'm generalizing about active speakers but, in the price range and capability of the speaker mentioned in the initial inquiry, I'd say my comments fit pretty well. I took the inquiry to be about a speaker driven full range with its passive crossover, not biamped, nothing fancy.

I agree with you that dedicated processors can do wonders for passive speakers, including true power limiting, but you won't find that in the price category raised here. I jumped on that bandwagon fifteen years ago with Apogee, one of the pioneers, and a bit later with EAW, both with excellent results. Non-dedicated processors can also yield good results, but they require a fair amount of knowledge and skill to apply to the fullest extent. Not everyone has the ability, or the time to carefully tune up a system. I'll put a well designed active speaker against a badly adjusted, but more sophisticated system. In the lower end "speaker on a stick" market, *most* active speakers will sound better and take more abuse when handled by less skilled users.

As for pin 1 ground loop problems, that can happen at an input in an amp rack just as easily as at the input of an active speaker. If all outputs and inputs on long runs aren't balanced, expect hums and buzzes. In general, (there I go again) if the line is properly balanced, the shield should be dropped at one end anyway. Also, when buying equipment, you've got to know what's balanced and what's not. It's not hard to find equipment masquerading with un-balanced I/O's on XLR connectors. Un-balanced should be outlawed.

I agree that many device are susceptible to Pin 1 issues, I brought it up specific to powered speakers as there use often involves long line or mic level cable runs and being powered off multiple receptacles in physically separated locations.

My mentor... so to speak... for tech theater once told me that I should never invest in a mixer/amp hybrid. His reasoning was that if you purchase them as seperate units, if one part goes catastrophically bad, you still have the other piece... and then all you have to do is go purchase another amp or another mixer (depending on what broke). This compared to having both units in tandem... if one goes bad, you might as well toss the entire affair and go get another one.

I found this advice strange considering he was willing to purchase several powered mackie speakers. I was thinking to myself...

Self... what if the amp goes bad in those speakers? You'd have to replace the entire unit versus replacing an amp or a speaker.

Am I making sense? Is purchasing powered speakers a good idea?

I was thinking to myself...

Self... what if the amp goes bad in those speakers? You'd have to replace the entire unit versus replacing an amp or a speaker.

Am I making sense? Is purchasing powered speakers a good idea?
No, you are not making sense.
Any manufacturer worth their market share will sell reasonable replacement parts.

I was assuming that it would be a rather quick, modular repair. It just seemed odd that he'd advise against purchasing powered mixers while advising to purchase powered speakers.

I was assuming that it would be a rather quick, modular repair. It just seemed odd that he'd advise against purchasing powered mixers while advising to purchase powered speakers.
Actually, I agree with that.
Powered mixers are a pain in the rear to fix, but if a customer sent me a broken speaker I could either change the drivers or swap the amp module in half an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back