Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peavey

• Squier

• Other

Votes: 22 91.7%

• Total voters
I wish we got Meyer, but the money just wasn't there when they did the install. However, Ithaca, where I'm going next year, has Meyer up the wazoo ;)

We got some Yamyha C112VA cabs for our 250 seat theatre, they're OK. Not great, just OK. Their low end is actually surprising, but their high end is lacking a bit. If I can ever figure out how to get my laptop to work with the Soundweb box I'll tweak some things. And if I get some extra money, I want to put in a sub in the pit that never gets used :p

AVGuyAndy said:
And you are supporting someone else's economy by using your keyboard to type in that useless response.

well, this keyboard is not pumping out 500watts of power right now, but i see your point.

Let me just ask this.

WHAT IS SOOO BAD ABOUT EV????

I myself think they are the best audio manufactures out there.

mbandgeek said:
Let me just ask this.

WHAT IS SOOO BAD ABOUT EV????

I myself think they are the best audio manufactures out there.

There is nothing bad about EV. Some people have had great experience with other brands and think they're the best audio manufacturers out there. I happen to like Peavey, EAW, Shure, anything from Harman International companies, and Yamaha (only for effects processing). Just because some of us have never used EV equipment doesn't mean it's bad. Drink a 2-liter of Mountain Dew and relax.

Edit: I forgot to mention my speaker choice is EAW.

Last edited:
looks like everyone's talking about different ballparks. The selections on your poll there don't accurately represent the contenders in the professional theatre market at all. Maybe for high schools or or community centers.
To adhere to a single brand doesn't make any sense. No harm in liking a manufacturer's line more than another, but I'd never go into a situation where I had to chose speakers with a predetermined manufacturer in mind.

EV has made a ton of crap, but a fair share of great products and it looks like they're coming back on the scene. Peavey also. Neither, though, are in any way one of the best audio manufacturers out there. Not a chance.

Again, this poll should probably give a scenario. I can't imagine a professional theatre or organization with money using most of the choices you have there, but a lot of others would.

Now chosing a brand for where it's made is another thing altogether. We'd all have to give up a lot of things if we bought exclusively american made. Whether we like it or not, free-market activity is growing thanks to our government and ourselves as consumers. Personally, I worry a lot more about giving money to Nike than I do to L'Acoustics.

Nonetheless, EV might make more of a show over their "Made in USA" distinction, but there are much better companies that manufacture in the US.

Last edited:
In response to this. I like EV. There is nothing wrong with the way they sound, and i should be more open minded, but i have never heard of any of these other companies. the reason that i picked the choices that i did, is because those are the companies that i have actually heard of.

mbandgeek said:
In response to this. I like EV. There is nothing wrong with the way they sound, and i should be more open minded, but i have never heard of any of these other companies. the reason that i picked the choices that i did, is because those are the companies that i have actually heard of.

Hopefully this thread has opened your eyes here in terms of what's out there, then (no offense intended, this is a good thing!) I remember way back when I started doing sound and knew very little in terms of what manufacturers and equipment was out there. I slowly learned by reading catalogs, researching brands people mentioned in different situations, and just by random searching. And when it comes to speakers, I'm still far from an expert! My expertise lies in wireless equipment.

mbenonis said:
Hopefully this thread has opened your eyes here in terms of what's out there, then (no offense intended, this is a good thing!) I remember way back when I started doing sound and knew very little in terms of what manufacturers and equipment was out there. I slowly learned by reading catalogs, researching brands people mentioned in different situations, and just by random searching. And when it comes to speakers, I'm still far from an expert! My expertise lies in wireless equipment.

it has opened my eyes to different companies, that is why i am posting these polls. I am going to start research other brands of equipment.

I'm glad you have an open mind. There are several companies out there, some make great gear, some the same can't be said about. There will be no best speaker out there though. The reason is hearing is down to preference. I don't like the subs to sound quite as tight as some people do. (I don't like really loose sounding, but too tight isn't something I like a great amount.) Though there isn't a best good and bad certainly do exist. Also remember a speaker will only sound as good as the signal going into it. A chain is only as good as its weakest link. There is little point in using a cheap microphone with a premium sound board, premium processing, premium amps, and premium speakers. One could have great speakers and still have horrible sound is what I am tring to point out.
Keep an open mind about gear and techniques though. There are some ideas out there that seem crazy but work great.

EV isn't bad, but they are far from the best. I happen to be very fond of the Sx300

This poll is kind of......um. Biased, or ....something.

the categories that i should have had is In-speaker power amps, or a stand alone unit, or a mixture of both.

I am impartial to this because i can't tell the difference.

now if your a small band In-speaker is probably the way to go, not as much rack gear.
However, if the Amp goes bad, you would have to spend more to replace it.

jbeutt said:
Nonetheless, EV might make more of a show over their "Made in USA" distinction, but there are much better companies that manufacture in the US.

e.g. Meyer, EAW

...but you'll be paying 4x as much for a comparable size Meyer rig than you will with EV. The Meyers will sound a whole lot better...you get what you pay for. EAW and Meyer are expensive for a reason.

I'm pretty sure EV does that because most of the lower end (in the grand scheme of things) manufacturers manufacture their products overseas to keep costs and therefore prices down, which EV doesn't do.

What's up with Harman international companies? I'm just curious, bought a bit of soundcraft stuff pre harman and was wondering what had changed.

Well I personally like D&B, it's very versatile, widely available here in Britain and sounds great! Costs a bomb to buy, but more than worth hiring it!

I also heard a Meyer powered rig this past weekend. It was pretty loud and good-sounding! It even pumped out good sound through 6-mil plastic. They had four top boxes and three dual subs per side! It was LOUD.

With the fortune you finally found in the seats after the last show you can afford that? ;) ;)

I must agree with avkid's comments about peavey speakers. They are virtualy indestructable. You can do so much with them, too. We have a completely Peavey system at our school, and it sounds pretty dern good!

AVGuyAndy said:
I'll take a Danley rig over anything mentioned in this thread.

what's so good about danley? in your opinion.

I like EV because it has great lows and highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back