Spiking

So kids, it looks like I may be having to repaint our stage floor at least a couple times this year, but i have several spike marks (a couple dozen+) that need to stay. Anyone have any tricks to quickly and easily pant and replace spikes?

I've done the brass tack thing for orchestra shell, then pan head screws because the tacks would sometimes break (they were run of the mill bulletin board tacks, not upholstery style with a thicker pin). But generally my simple solution is to just show the painters where there are spikes that need keeping, sometimes replacing first with a high visibility color if I doubt they can see them easily, and then they just paint over them and wipe each off with a finger as they go. Then we'll replace any that didn't get wiped quite clean enough and leave the rest as is. Even if they miss a few and paint over them, they're easy to spot with a side light scraped across the floor plane and then you just have to guess what color they were if you have multiple colors going. Always nice, though, to have a scale/dimensioned spike plot for any show, and I would say especially worthwhile for permanent spikes. But that's just the more time consuming backup to not leaving paint to dry on them in the first place.

Do the perms with a vinyl tape. Quickly cut in the spikes by a rollover then wipe the wet paint off the spike with a damp rag.

Reactions: Van
Around here, blue painter tape with a tab in the middle so you can get it back up. Even if the tape takes the spike back up you know where it was (albeit a bit rough due to differing widths).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back