Splitting signals for monitors

Here is the problem with the plug a TS jack into the insert:

This works for a recording setup that is close to the mixer, Mackie used this back in the days of Adats etc, the had Line in's and it was a quick and dirty way to go.

Monitors are different;
First of all, putting the Monitor console at the FOH position is not a good idea, and if you try to run those first click TS connectors back to a mixer at Stage, you are running long lines of UNBALANCED audio, you are just asking for hum problems etc etc.

You would be far far better off with a simple split at the mic source or the stage box.
Sharyn

Ya, I know this is a bad idea. I just posted it as a cheap half a** alternitive. Its a horrible setup but it could work in an emergency.

For another way to add a splitter thats is a bit more expensive then just adding another multi cable inside the snake box but is cleaner looking and is more organized then simple splitter cables, you could buy a simple metal male to female xlr adapter which is basically two plugs in one metal body. then drill a hole in the side, add a grommet and slide in another xlr cable then solder that to the leads inside the adaptor. To keep the added cable from sliding out, simple knot the cable once it is passed through the grommet. This might be better for those who are afraid to touch there expensive snake and if you screw up some how, since each channel's adaptor would be seperate, the losses would be far less then damaging your snake box. Another idea would be to permanently lift the ground by not connecting that wire but if you wished to have a bonded ground you could just change the adaptor over to a simple splitter cable.
The picture is actually a dmx adaptor but it uses the same adaptor body.

Havent actually created this but how does that sound?

Attachments

• bna3f5m.jpg
    bna3f5m.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
The idea seems like a reasonable one, but I do wonder what advantage it would have over a more conventional 3 XLR connector Y split. I believe that Neutrik have a modular setup that would allow for such a device to be made, it would be a male XLR, a female XLR and a body. Beware of anything premade with the same connector both ends (but opposit genders). The chances of it being wired straight through are minimal. It will more than likely be either a phase (sorry, polarity) reverser, a pad or a ground lift. Otherwise what point is there in 2 extra onnectors? The other thing to consider is that within such an adaptor housing, there ain't a whole lot of room. So you might have troubles wiring it and even more so tying to put some sort of strain relief on it (be it a knot, a cable tie or whatever to stop the cable from pulling out.)

So it should be possible, but what benefit does it bring?

i guess im a person who likes my cable runs REALLY neat and it just seams cleaner looking then y splitts and is better for tracing cable runs because the plug into that channel on the snake is still in the same location just 3 inches up and all the split off cables can be bundled together nicely with some heat shrink, taking up less room then a whole bunch of y splits laying on the stage. As for room inside the adaptor, since all the connectors can be pulled away from the body, the soldering is done in the open and then the thing can be assembled, only having to tuck the wires back inside. Im not sure where i saw it but there was an electronics supplier who sold these adaptors with a described use that was basically this, a home made adaptor.

There is one big problem with the drilled adapter design, there is no easy way of providing a strain relief for the split cable, so you are very likely to have the split cable pulled and the inside 22awg wires detached. In addition with a split it usually is a good idea to have a ground lift.

Another setup that is pretty common is to build a split box, you can actually order the stage boxes from a number of suppliers pre drilled etc, and you just mount the connectors, they also will sell you short fans if you want also.

I like using the mass connector so if I don't use the split I can remove it. A neat way to set up your stage box setup is to put it in a rack mount, neatens up things quite a bit.

Sharyn

I like the idea of the predrilled boxes, where might i go about getting one of those? I also have used mass connectors in the past and was wondering where I could get a hold of some. I was also wondering how difficult it is to wire them, being that all the pins are in relatively close proximity to one another.

Look at
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=NK27-22C+34&off=0&sort=prod for the mass connector

and

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=BB06PP&off=11&sort=prod

for the stage box, you would also need strain relief

It is not all that hard to solder them up since most of them have the pins that slide out you solder them, use heat shrink for electrical isolation and then side the connector back OR Some you just work carefully from one side to the other again using heat shrink and solder first, slide the heat shrink down and then shrink

Sharyn

Sharyn- I just got the money to build the split, but the links to the site have changed. They now direct me to BNC connectors, which I know arent correct. I did some searching and found mass connectors, but cant seem to find matching male and female connectors.
Canare NK27 Pin Circular Male Cable Mount Connect -
http://www.markertek.com/Product.as...ACONNECT&prodClass=MASSCON&mfg=&search=0&off=
Hirose HR10-7P-6P Circular Connector-
http://www.markertek.com/Product.as...ACONNECT&prodClass=MASSCON&mfg=&search=0&off=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back