Spot Light too bright...

BRILLIANT!

I think R3814 would work better. All the light will be going backwards...:twisted:

(((((Pssssst....Dustin go back and look at 3802....that was the joke in the first place))))))

...This might be a stupid suggestion, but why not change to a lower wattage lamp?
Not a stupid question, but inapplicable in this case. The Lycian Superstar 1.2 is only available with a 1200W HMI lamp.

Actually, I was wrong. According to the pdf,
The luminaire shall be a 1200 watt follow
spotlight designed only for a 1200-HB
metal halide lamp. A 1200 HMI lamp can
be substituted with reduced output.

However, the OP most likely already has the 1200 HMI lamp installed. A piece of L209 taped onto the front is ≈$7. New lamps are ≈$375 Pulling the trombone back is free, but long-term use may cause premature Iris failure.

I am guessing "pulling the trombone back" means backing the lamp out of the reflector some? I've never heard this term before.

I am guessing "pulling the trombone back" means backing the lamp out of the reflector some? I've never heard this term before.
Negative. Most longer throw followspots have a handle on the side that moves the front lens. Intensity can be reduced and the beam widened by moving the lens toward the lamp of the unit, effectively shortening the effective focal length of the optical system.

De-focusing the lamp is another option, but not recommended.

Since I'm partial to Apollo color bacause of all the cool names, why not try something beween AP2310 and AP2330. They're ment to reduce the light output from units. I've never used them because all of our lekos(our followspots = 360Q 6x16 w/ FEL) can change wattages.

Since I'm partial to Apollo color bacause of all the cool names, why not try something beween AP2310 and AP2330. They're ment to reduce the light output from units. I've never used them because all of our lekos(our followspots = 360Q 6x16 w/ FEL) can change wattages.

Apparently Dustin decided to skip the first page of this thread. Neutral Density by any other name...is still ND.

I read it, just not all that recently.

Yeah I do the same thing...think I have a really great solution...then find out its been posted...after I posted as the latested and greatest.

Well update on the situation. I had thought about the ND solution, but was seeing if there was anything else before sending out for some.

There is also a chance that we won't be using the followspot anyhow due to a lack of operator...

Ok, so i'm having an issue with our spot lights being too bright for our space...

We have spot lights that run at 10000w and in a 237 seat house they are a little overpowering...

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to bring them down a bit on intensity without using the douser?

This is for the show Swingtime Canteen and the rest of our stock is 750w ETC units.

Let me get this right.... Two or more 1200 watt HMI follow spots in a house that seats 275 people??? The 10,000 watt analogy is not too far off! (If you consider the incandescent equivalent.) The spots you described cost a heap of money and don't sound like they will ever be used to capacity. Why not trade them in for something more modest and use the surplus funds to treat the whole crew to a Hawaiian vacation!

The "Trombone", sometimes called the zoom, will cut your light output drastically. Simple free fix. The other fix will probably yield you thousands of surplus dollars ;)

As JD suggested, you may be able to make a deal with you local Lycian dealer. Maybe you can sell the fixtures and then buy a couple Lycian Midget HPs. They run at half the wattage, but still give you the advantage of an arc source unit. They will operate similar to the units you have, but they are smaller and more manageable. If you are going to try to go this route you might also look into the Robert Juliat Buxie. My spot ops and I really like the RJ fixtures, they are easy to operate, light weight, and quiet. So, there is some food for thought.

As JD suggested, you may be able to make a deal with you local Lycian dealer. Maybe you can sell the fixtures and then buy a couple Lycian Midget HPs. They run at half the wattage, but still give you the advantage of an arc source unit. They will operate similar to the units you have, but they are smaller and more manageable. If you are going to try to go this route you might also look into the Robert Juliat Buxie. My spot ops and I really like the RJ fixtures, they are easy to operate, light weight, and quiet. So, there is some food for thought.

I was about to suggest the "downgrade" option as well. The 1275s are very popular spots and you should be able to get a good price on them even if you did have to simply sell them off.

I'm looking for more to add to my inventory. I just had a ballast deside to catch on fire. So I am currently down a spot and desprately need more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back