SpotLight Question

mbandgeek

My school has 2-15 year old Satellite 2's They are great, but they are really loud, is there anything that we can do to modify them to make them bearable to use?

also some good teflon oil goes a long way... and make sure that your gel cuts in the boomerangs are cut well so you dont get a paper in the wind effect....

If it's not the nuts/bolts making the noise, but it's comming from the fan. take the cover off of the fan (make sure unit is in the off position) and oil the fan. Also, make sure that there isn'r anything that is hitting the fan blades.

Out spot is like 9 yrs. old and ust to make noise. We did what I said above and for the most part, it stoped.
-Ray

CHScrew said:
If it's not the nuts/bolts making the noise, but it's comming from the fan. take the cover off of the fan (make sure unit is in the off position) and oil the fan. Also, make sure that there isn'r anything that is hitting the fan blades.

Out spot is like 9 yrs. old and ust to make noise. We did what I said above and for the most part, it stoped.
-Ray

Don't just make sure it's off- if at all possible UNPLUG IT!!! You can't imagine how many time's I've been shocked by things that are "off," and it always surprises you, too. Better safe than sorry!

Radman said:
Don't just make sure it's off- if at all possible UNPLUG IT!!! You can't imagine how many time's I've been shocked by things that are "off," and it always surprises you, too. Better safe than sorry!

Ditto. I haven't been shocked as yet but you would always unplug an item rather than just relying on a switch. If it is hardwired, find its breaker and turn it off there. There is a principle in electrical work that goes along the lines of assume that something is live until you have proven that it is dead. In this instance something like metering it and obtaining 0V or very close to it would be considered to be proving it dead. We don't want to all be sending condolences because someone decided that all they needed to do was turn the switch to "off" and that they would be right. Take for instance your television, whilever you can turn it on with a remote control, it has power running through it. It can bite in this "off" state.

The other thing to remember is that things like capacitors can hold a charge for quite a long time after being switched off. Whilst I do not expect that you would encounter them inside a followspot, it is worthwhile pointing it out so that people who are opening up other things are aware.

If you do not fell confident in doing something like this then maybe that is telling you something. I think that it would be wise at that point to refer service to qualified persons.

I realise that this has not been a short post, but we all need to stay aware of the dangers of electricity. Like I said, I really don't want to send condolences.

i assume that since you are recomending it teflon juice has a high enough flash point that it will not ingnite if i spray some on the iris, etc.

yeah, i'm an idiot, flourocarbons dont ingnite very fast do they....
i only asked after considery spraying our schools spots with WD-40. i then realised that that might be stupid.

Actually it is the Iris Adjustment lever along with all the fans.

It is also the Huge Vibrating power supply that sits on the floor near the Spotlight.

i would not sudgest ripping the ballast open.... that would open up a can a worms that if you dont know what you are doing would not be a pretty picture....

mbandgeek said:
It is also the Huge Vibrating power supply that sits on the floor near the Spotlight.

It could just be me but I am thinking that the power supply should not be vibrating noticeably. If the power supply is "huge", then it probably has a rather large ballast in it. It may be that the ballast or some other part of the power supply is not in its best state. It may be that it needs a good clean, but as I said in my earlier post, exercise EXTREME CAUTION should you decide to open it up. It is my advice that you refer this to qualified service personnel. it likely does have a high voltage supply, especially if your spot has a discharge lamp. I realise that you have given a model etc. I have not looked it up. What I am doing is making general comments, so that if others read this thread, they can hopefully apply some of what is being said to their own models.

After 25 yrs, I am inclined to suspect that it might be time for a full service. Your power supply / ballast is probably full of dirt and its fans might also need work. I am sure that others will likely be able to give your more specific advice.

Remember, don't even think about touching it without unplugging it and if you aren't feeling comfortable, don't do it.

Footer4321 said:
i would not sudgest ripping the ballast open.... that would open up a can a worms that if you dont know what you are doing would not be a pretty picture....

Not to mention a high chance of high voltage.

I'm Not about to go tearing a $2000 power supply just to see if i could make it stop vibrating. I might be able to se it on some foam or a piece of cardboard to absorb the Vibrations.

what kind of vibrations are we talking about here... as in is it walking around the the floor or if you put your hand on it you can feel a slight vibration?

I'm going to assume that you are a student in a high school?

You shouldn't be tearing anything down at your high school that involves electricity without the appropriate people knowing. You are going to walk yourself into a big world of hurt if you make a mistake.

Let your drama advisor/teacher know. They will know the appropriate routes to take to get the fixture repaired by a professional.

At my school I will only let my students make cables. When it comes to working on a fixture I do the work and they watch. Maybe when they get the experience that I have had (and believe me... it isn't a lot compared to the other geniuses on this board) they'll be ready. But until then... no way. Goof painting a scene and you can repaint it. Goof farting around with electricity and you'll be dead.

Please be careful.

On the balast note... be careful. Some balasts have an oil in them that... at the very least... stinks like concentrated burning steel wool. I can't help but think that if the oil smells like that, it must be something pretty nasty.

I am a high school student and let me make my intentions clear I am not going to be tearing apart a $5000 Followspot, i am just trying to find out what modifications other people have done, and if they have had sucess. And from there i will sugust some of these ideas to my superiors.

I may be a teenager, but i have a sense of responsibility, i hate being stereotyped based on the popular belief that teenagers are full of rebellion. My parents on the other hand taught me right from wrong at a very early age. I can't say that other teenagers, or the ones that you work with. I have earned the trust of many people and i have never let any of them down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back