Spreader Plates

ricc0luke

What exactly is the purpose of spreader plates? How do you know where they need to go?

Thanks-

Actually there should be more than 2, especially on larger systems. In theory there should be one placed for every 3 bricks, at least that's what i think it's supposed to be, but if you can't do that then spread them out as evenly as possible, leaving one for the top.

Anonymous said:
The plates serve an important purpose, but usually get in the way when you are loading an arbor 40 feet in the air hanging off the edge of a cat-walk.

In this situation we use quik clamps to keep the spreaders up while we are loading.

I know it's been a few months since this was posted but for anyone who may read this i'd like to give an update on the exact reason why...

Spreader plates do, as "guest" wrote, keep the weights from falling if the arbor rods spread. In case of a runaway lineset, when the arbor crashes at the bottom (or top if you're pipe heavy) of the rail it will essentially crunch or smoosh down which would allow the weights to fall out. The spreader plates keep the bars together during a crash (or hard stop) so that you won't have weights raining down on you (you will have enough to worry about with whatever comes down with the pipe). IN THE EVENT OF AN IMMENENT CRASH OF A RUNAWAY LINESET DO NOT TRY TO STOP THE HAND LINE. SHOUT A WARNING AND TAKE COVER AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. In the case of a creeping line you can stop it with brute strength but if the line is moving too fast in an out of balance condition you won't be able to stop it so you must put safety first...

Hello:

Spreader plates, according to Sapsis and JR Clancy should be placed every 24-30 inches of counter weight.

For more specific information (and free stuff) I suggest you visit JR Clancy's new rigging website:

www.rigging-safety.com

Thanks,

dwt1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back