Square D ?

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
An easy one for STUDENTS ONLY, as are all QotDs. Unless stated otherwise. Your mileage may vary. Offer not valid where prohibited by law.

What's the significance of the "D" in electrical distribution device company SquareD?

square_d_greatness.png

Is that your final answer?

Last edited:
yes sir. do i get the million dollars?
No. That was the warm-up round.

From Square D Online Catalog : Schneider Electric Brands :
The origin of the SQUARE D name is legendary. In 1915, the Detroit Fuse and Manufacturing Company introduced a stamped steel version of its enclosed safety switch. Embossed on the switch cover was a square with a capital 'D' for Detroit. The safety switch became so popular that customers requested the 'Square D' safety switch. Two years later, the company, capitalizing on the market demand for this product, changed its name to Square D Company. Today, the SQUARE D brand name remains one of the few created by its customers. in 1991, Schneider Electric acquired Square D Company and added one of the most highly recognized and well-respected brands in the electrical industry to its portfolio.
New question, open to all, Who knew that? I didn't until today.

so I only walk away with a handshake? :( only kidding. :)

and i just found out what it meant 15 mins ago...

I knew that, many Detroit buildings have some VERY old Square D products.

My question is what does it do?

Known that for quite some time, like 5 years. Actually last I knew Square D was still owned by the same company that owns Federal Pioneer which is Schnider Electric. How many people knew THAT?

I only knew it because of working as a Construction/Maintenance Electrician, for the family business. I bought a LOT of Federal Pioneer and Square D stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back