Squeaks in platforms - set is already built

Jim Beaver

We got on to our new set and discovered that the platforms squeak like mad when people walk. Some seem to be where platforms meet, others seem to be in the middle of the platform. It's a large set, and it squeaks all over the place, and it's too late to take things apart. Suggestions?

What kind of platforms? How are they supported? Are they high enough for someone to get underneath them? You may need to add bracing, more support legs, compression legs, or attach them together more securely in order to mitigate the squeaking.

We got on to our new set and discovered that the platforms squeak like mad when people walk. Some seem to be where platforms meet, others seem to be in the middle of the platform. It's a large set, and it squeaks all over the place, and it's too late to take things apart. Suggestions?
Squeaks come from movement: Tighten fasteners to reduce movement - I guess your set is a new build, so maybe not. Tap some small wedges into any gaps to stiffen things.
Dust joints with talcum powder so that they can move without friction. I have successfully quieted parts of the stage floor with the powder used in a chalk line.

Talcum powder between set pieces. For semi-permanent joints (skin to platform frame), use screws instead of nails (Nails are much more likely to to loose their grip and allow motion to occur. Especially with all of the flexing that stage platforms usually see.) If these platforms are intended to be permanent subunits they can be glued though it does make reworking/recycling them later more difficult. I've also seen silicon sealant (like you would normally get in a gallon can and used for roofing repair) used like a thick 'paint' on platform edges that get screwed or bolted together. Seemed to work, but you do have to let the stuff dry before clamping/bolting things up or they will stick together a little too well!

How are the platforms themselves constructed? How are they attached together? Are the legs secured to the deck?

As has been said, squeaking is things moving.

So you can (A) reduce the movement - tightening, bracing, securing etc; (B) lubricate contacting surfaces - grease between metal surfaces will reduce contact noise.

Relevant?

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back