Squeaky Hinges

Wise17

I am doing a production and for it the director wants the hinges to be made squeaky. We originally had sound effects for it however there have been many problems in timing it correctly. The type of hinges I have are large piano hinges, as they are on 16' doors, does anyone have any suggestions that I could do that can help make the hinges squeaky quickly?

Depends what the hinge is made of. If it's steel, sometimes you can pour a bit of Vinegar or some other weak acid on the barrel, like you would if oiling it. the issue comes in that most hinges are dipped in Laquer to keep them from rusting therefore getting them to corrode is a pain. Sometimes you can shim part of the hinge then replace the screws. this will cause the barrel to bind in that one spot.

It's not going to be easy to reliably make a hinge squeak but you may be able to hook up a foley creak box to the door. The trick would be getting the door to rotate the dowel as it opens and closes, and maybe playing with gearing ratios to get the right amount of rotation.

I am doing a production and for it the director wants the hinges to be made squeaky. We originally had sound effects for it however there have been many problems in timing it correctly. The type of hinges I have are large piano hinges, as they are on 16' doors, does anyone have any suggestions that I could do that can help make the hinges squeaky quickly?
Assuming everyone is otherwise satisfied with your SFX, possibly fitting sensors to the doors which trigger your recorded effects is another option to consider?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back