The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

SSR or something else?

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by ishboo, Jul 20, 2008.

1. ishboo

ishboo Active Member

I read the TOS and I think this question is allowed if not please delete it.

I'm starting plans for a New Year's Eve Party at my friends house at the end of this year. There will be some special effect, nothing amazing just for our friends. One of these is a confetti cannon I built powered by a shop vac. I want everything to be pre programmed and run off my computer. I have the software a simple board and some dimmers that can also operate as switched. I want the shop vac to be controlled by the dimmer (on off, not fading). The problem is these are DJ dimmers with a max of 5a per channel and the shop vac is 7.3a. I was looking into using a Solid State Relay so a low power is used to turn it on then it draws power from another source. Would an SSR be the best way to approach this or is there another option I could use?

2. dannyn

dannyn Member

Chauvet makes 10a dimmers if you want to go that route. Chauvet

3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

4. philhaney

philhaney CBMod CB Mods

Footer4321 is correct. Most dimmers, your standard theatrical lighting dimmer included, won't work with an inductive load (any load with a coil of wire in it, like a motor). If you try, even in non-dim mode, you'll burn out the dimmer.

If you can be sure of safe operation, the kit listed above will do you quite nicely. Me personally, I like to fire all of my "cannon" effects by hand. If I have to program an effect, I still install a "kill" switch in series with the control circuit.