SSTI Technical Theatre Intensive

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
A teacher friend of mine said one of their students was accepted into this program, but the parents didn't know anything about the program and she asked me. I haven't heard of it either, but I was wondering if anyone on CB has had any experience with this program?

Never heard of it. They sure do a lot of bragging about how many top pros they have teaching. If it really is that big of a deal, someone around here will know them. According to Wikipedia they have been doing the tech program since 2011.

Here's a puff piece from Broadway World. Doesn't say a lot but you can read between the lines. Sounds like there aren't a lot of students each year which would explain why we have never heard of it. It also sounds very expensive.

Think back to when Empty Sheet (Full S___) began and how they advertised. Has a similar feel... a little oily around the edges.

An intensive experience for apprentices and interns can be had at Music Theater Wichita and it's at no charge to the apprentice www.mtwichita.com pick the Education Tab. Intern positions come with a stipend, IIRC. Not sure how they handle housing for apprentices who can't commute or already live here, but I recall host families with students in the program assisting with places to stay.

A teacher friend of mine said one of their students was accepted into this program, but the parents didn't know anything about the program and she asked me. I haven't heard of it either, but I was wondering if anyone on CB has had any experience with this program?

I am in the program, and am leaving for ssti on the 6th. I can verify, from my experience so far, that it is legit. They had an online interview, I talked to the director face to face, I am in a Basecamp group where they are releasing rehearsal tracks for singers, as well as introducing all of the staff. I talked to some kids in the Basecamp group over snap, and lots of them have been before, and said that it was great. I thought it was oily at first, but I can now confidently verify it’s legitimacy.

I am in the program, and am leaving for ssti on the 6th. I can verify, from my experience so far, that it is legit. They had an online interview, I talked to the director face to face, I am in a Basecamp group where they are releasing rehearsal tracks for singers, as well as introducing all of the staff. I talked to some kids in the Basecamp group over snap, and lots of them have been before, and said that it was great. I thought it was oily at first, but I can now confidently verify it’s legitimacy.
That's awesome! Good for you! When it's all over, we'd love to get a report on what it was actually like!

That's awesome! Good for you! When it's all over, we'd love to get a report on what it was actually like.
Hi! Here’s an update: I am writing this as my roommate is rehearsing a song in the other room. This is awesome. We started and finished cabling 6 electrics and constructing a false proscenium + building and flying 5 out of ~17 pieces of scenery. In the last 3 days. We are moving crazy fast, and it’s so true that it feels like it home here. EVERYONE is like a family, and very nice and comfortable with each other. 100/10 would recommend! The cast even ran through the first
Act WELL after 3 days- all of them sing SO well. Just thought that I should update!

y’all…
It’s closing night. I have been here for a month, and it’s been the best month of my life. The community here is so loving and supportive, like I have never felt before. It’s really tightly knit, you see everyone from the cast to the founder/program director every day. Every staff member (like 15) is just a person, and you get to know everyone really well. It’s really small and everyone is on the same level. We had a goodbye type thing yesterday, and everyone was crying. There ARE scholarships, so if you have the means, I 20000000% recommended coming here. We are pulling up to the theater now, so I have to start preshows, but please ask any questions that you have!

@Addictedtogaff thanks for the follow up reports. It is wonderful to hear that you had such a great experience. Your posts here will help others in the future decide if they want to participate in the program. Have a great rest of the summer and we will see you around CB!

Thanks for the follow up. I'm usually suspicious of these kinds of things as I've seen them used to exploit the motivated and the hopeful who seek an edge.

I'd glad it wasn't a scam and that you found it useful.

Hey, just wanted to follow up to this post...I am the teacher from the original post. My set designer/master carpenter went and it was AMAZING. Her dad said she was in tears when it was time to go because she wanted to stay longer. She came back from that camp a different kid as far as her design, drafting, and construction skills go. So yes, it is a legit camp, yes, it was expensive, and yes, she learned a whole heck of a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back