Stage Floor Paint

Smatticus

I'm wondering what kind of paint most people use when painting their stages flat black. I need to repaint our stage and I believe that the TD before me used a flat black exterior deck paint. I can't, however, find anyone who either a) carries deck paint in a flat finish or b) can mix black with the product they do carry. Basically they can only provide flat black for decks or if it is a stain. The next best thing I can think of is an all weather exterior house paint. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I just got finished re-painting ours and I used an exterior flat black latex - works just fine as I am generally painting the stage at least 4 times a year if not more. Very seldom is a show by the high school or community theatre done without painting the stage floor to match the set, so after it is done I take it back to black. So I am basically painting the floor a lot during the year and don't really need it to last for a long time. I'm not really sure just how long the exterior latex would last under normal wear conditions and just exactly what your stage is used for, but I would think it would work OK. I remember a 3 month stint one time between theatrical productions where there were just normal concerts, dance shows, etc. and it held up just fine.

Our stage normally stays flat black all the time so we only repaint it when we need to because of wear or paint drips and spills, so it ussually tends to be about a year between paintings, depending on its care during the year. For the most part I would say our stage isn't really used heavily so I'm thinking the exterior latex will do fine. I mean sure the paint might not last as long as the warranty says it should but the stage is going to be repainted again a long time before that warranty expires anyway.

Here in the Northwest we have a Regional paint company called Miller. They sell a product called "Tough Tread" it is a Flat floor paint that comes in a wide variety of Colors. Many of the Local theatres use it as a floor and wall paint as it has a ton of pigment and is very tough. I have found, however, that you don't always have to spend the money on an expensive floor paint. As the last poster mentioned many times we are re-painting our floor several times a year and it just doesn't make sense to use an expensive paint on a floor that you know is going to be re-paint inside of two months.
That being said, I find it hard to beleive that a paint store or supplier near you won't mix a flat latex for you. I suggest you walk in, walk right up to the counter and in a firm, clear, projected voice say, " I would like 5 gallons of flat black interior latex paint please." And when they say "why?" you say, "Hey it's a theatre thing you wouldn't understand." . If they press the matter I suggest using my next favorite line, " Back off man, I'm a Technical Director !"

Happy painting !

Thanks for the input, they don't have a problem mixing a flat latex, just nobody can mix or carries flat exterior deck paint, which would be a bit tougher as it's actually intended for a floor. So a flat exterior latex is the next best thing and, fortunately, I have an arrangement with one store to get the paint for free in exchange for a program ad and some tickets. One of the places I went to the guy was trying to tell me that it wasn't even possible to mix black or dark red. Thanks again for the info!

If you have a Sherman Williams or Home Depot in the area the paint that I like using is an oil base satin. I did use a flat black but was having problems with saw dust from the shop being track on stage. The satin makes it alot easier to mop the stage. It cost about the same as rosco paint but in my experience it is alot more durable.

If you do get this paint you need to apply it with a roller and not an airless sprayer. With the roller you get a thicker coat and it tends to come out looking really nice. One more thing that maybe a down fall is the time you need to let it sit before using the theater. I let the theater sit for three days before I walk on the stage.

Have fun with it.

Dan

Yeah down time is a huge drawback to oil based paints I tend to avoid them at all costs. I can't imagine having three open days to just let my theatre sit. ( either one of them )

what type of floor due you have if it is mason type floor 6 t0 8 it is dry to walk on and after 12 you use it. I just re paint my stage and it was dry when i got their morning. i layed it down about 3 clock yesterday and got their today at 9 this mornning. I will double check the name and post that here for you.

James

Were painting our stage black for the first time this year. Right now our stage is hard wood with like a cherry finish and I HATE IT! I wish our school would have just painted it black to begin with.

blsmn said:
Very seldom is a show by the high school or community theatre done without painting the stage floor to match the set, so after it is done I take it back to black.

That is a lot of paint. Do you ever strip and scrape the stage of all tht paint.

That is great infomation that you provide me. i think the first thing you should due is find out if you can paint the stage premently from the school because that floor will be hard to replace if they decide to change thier minds. if that is that is the case then lay a (**homostote) floor and (**lothon) top then paint it black. only use this if they still want the hardwood in tact and unpainted. if they decide to panit the floor the way it is then paint it either way the best to use is a laytx deck and sealer type paint (sticking and perment) may need a oil based first because caster may rip the band new laytx but over time it builds and become perment. trust me. the base under laytx can be shine or regular house paint black or a dark color.

Ps i know my speeling stinks sorry about that.
**the homostote is a cardboard type building material
**lothon is a type of thin wood about quater inch thick

good luck

celtictechie said:
**the homostote is a cardboard type building material
**lothon is a type of thin wood about quater inch thick

good luck

Are you refering to Luan ? Luan is typically a 1/4" Luan mahogany plywood often refered to as " door skins" by contractor suppliers and Home Depot. Luan is a specific "type" or species of Mahognay. 1/4" Luan is usually used as a cover material for " Studiio" flats, 1/8" can be used but requires a lot more staples and tends to warp, buckle, and doesn't have nearly the shear strength as 1/4 < yes that's Shear as in diagonal shear force not Sheer as in "pure"or "Ultimate" >
Luan doesnot make for a decent floor unless it has all been pre-painted on both sides ( it tends to buckle if not.) . If one were to use it as a flooring it would be imperative that the sub-floor be completely free of potholes, woggadies, and soft-spots, as Luan, as a 1/4" material, has virtually no face impact strength. If it does get gouged, Luan also has the tendancy to "tear" or run along the lines of it's substrate plys. Honestly I don't think I would use Luan for a flooring material, as it is typically only a coule of dollars a sheet cheaper that Masonite or M.D.F. < Medium Density Fiberboard >
Homosote is a trade-name for "Builder Board" And typically is only useful as a sound deading layer in platforming <e.g. 3/4" ply , 1/2" homosote,Framing. > it's also great for several different scenic elements such as rocks, bricks, masonry etc. when carved, sanded routed, shurformed. It is imparative that you use proper ventalation and dust masks when working with homosote as it is extremely fibrous, and you'll be coughing up tons of pulp if you don't. Again I don't think I could consider Homosote as a floor unless you were using it as an underlayment beneath at least 3/4" CD or BC < good luck> plywood. Homosote has no point load strength a 2"x4" dropped from 6" above it would dent the face I can only imagine what rolling a case across it would be like.
Finally just for giggles I'll say it again Oil based paints are; messy, smelly and require mostly toxic materials to clean - up, and generally more expensive. As far as I'm concerned they really have no use on a stage. I have painted the floor of the house with them, an area where you know you need a finish that is going to last a long time, be more or less impervious to cleaners, and that you're not going to want to paint more than once every two years.
Wow that was a lot longer response than I though it would be.

we repaint maybe 4 times a year. we just use a 5 gallon of normal black flat exterior paint. there are atleast 40 layers of paint on the stage. dancing really messes up the floor. we have 2 dance recitals year usually one in late december so we repaint before our spring musical and at the end of the school year and we either repaint it then or wait until next year.

We just use flat black latex paint, probably exterior. We've been known to touch up holes, dents, etc. with some sort of wood substitute. Nothing fancy, I think Durron? brand (I'm messing it up, I know)--basically, whatever paint that is generally available to the public.

We found that using a black stain worked better than latex paint for dancing

Vanex Breakthrough Wrought Iron Stain Black, Or Behr Black Stain water-base deep base No. 6300 are some examples, Behr is pretty common. I have also seen people mix 4 parts of flat black latex to one part gloss latex to 1 part of water.

Sharyn

Last edited:
Yes! You can get flat latex - acrilic better - floor paint mixed. Also, I always use a water based clear coat - sometimes 2 coats - if floor is for dance or musical theatre. No scuffing, scraping, great for tap.

Guess you have a fire Marshall with no theatre experience, doesn't know codes for public spaces, or doesn't care to check your paint. Most areas I work in oil base is forbidden. If caught I would be shut down until it was sanded off!

Our decking is 1/2” of pine boards 2' x 12” x 1/2” and that is on top of cement. (not good for dancing :) well the president of the college loves the look of high gloss stain on the wood. Every light would reflect back on to the set (looked horrible to everyone but him). Well we got a new president and he is allowing us to paint the stage. (hopefully some day we will be able to replace the whole thing) so we had a rep come in from Sherwin Williams and he told us to strip the decking, ether with sanding or chemicals, and then use a bonding latex primmer then every time after that use Roscoe off Broadway.

Our decking is 1/2” of pine boards 2' x 12” x 1/2” and that is on top of cement. (not good for dancing :) well the president of the college loves the look of high gloss stain on the wood. Every light would reflect back on to the set (looked horrible to everyone but him). Well we got a new president and he is allowing us to paint the stage. (hopefully some day we will be able to replace the whole thing) so we had a rep come in from Sherwin Williams and he told us to strip the decking, ether with sanding or chemicals, and then use a bonding latex primmer then every time after that use Roscoe off Broadway.
Rosco Off-broadway is a really expensive way to go. I follow his directions then find the cheapest flat black floor paint you can get. Or buy a bunch of flat neutral mixing base and a couple of gallons of black pigment. Mix the pigment in real heavy, then have a roller party.

I discovered last spring that my local Lowes has a pre-mixed black paint that's a really nice color of black and only about $16 a gallon. It was located by the spray paint and stain of all things. I can't remember for sure but seems like it was available in flat and semi-gloss only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back