Stage Lighting Super Saturday

rochem

(This may be more suited to the Education forum. Mods, feel free to move it if so desired.)

Anyone going to the Stage Lighting Super Saturday this weekend in Manhattan? I'll be there, and I know there's a few people from the SML going as well. Anyone from here gonna be going? If any CB regulars are gonna be around for the weekend and wanna meet for lunch or something, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
I was thinking about going, but I don't really get what it is exactly and I can't afford to take off from work without knowing it will be worth my while :( I will be about 20 blocks south in midtown running some shows, though. Being jealous. ;)

-Tim

It's that time of year again! I just got the flyer in the mail today. To those of you that went last year, what was it like? What did you do? Did you like it? How basic/advanced were the topics? Is it worth me taking off work (losing income) and paying the fee to attend? Any other thoughts appreciated.

-Tim

I went last year, and though I thoroughly enjoyed it, I need to make it very clear that it's different than most other industry trade shows. It's definitely aimed more toward the aspiring high school student rather than the up-and-coming pro, and most of the topics covered are of the most use to a designer rather than a technician. For example, there were sessions given about types of instruments and where you might choose to use various types, how to choose color, and how to choose angle, but there were also slightly more in-depth topics about LEDs and their use in the theatre, moving lights, wireless DMX systems, and various types of consoles. It's also important to note that many of these sessions were led by representatives from a specific company, and while they did a great job at describing the technology without talking exclusively about their product, they definitely stuck to the points that would make their product look best.

On the other hand, while the sessions weren't great, the free time on the floor and the addresses from industry professionals were fantastic. Ken Billington's keynote address was really fantastic, and because of the relatively smaller number of attendees, I was able to spend a good amount of time talking to him one-on-one. Along the same lines, I really enjoyed being able to spend a lot of time with the company reps talking about not only their products, but about their companies' plans for things like RDM and such. And, perhaps most importantly for me, I was able to meet the Intern Coordinator for PRG in person and talk to him face-to-face, which likely played a role in me getting hired by them for last summer.

So I think my recommendation would be this: if you happen to be in the area with nothing to do (as I was) and don't mind spending the $50 for the day, then absolutely stop by, especially if you don't often get a chance to make it out to the "real" conferences. You'll meet some great company reps, designers, and technicians from the New York area, and you'll get a ton of swag. However, if you'd need to take the day off of work to attend, I'm not sure I would do it.

If you (or anyone else) wants to know anything more specific, feel free to reply here or shoot me a PM.

I'm not familiar with this. Is there a website I can go to with more information?

Is it this? Stage Seminars, Stage Lighting Super Saturday. Also the home of HSTech

If it is, then you can find more people to go, you can save some money.
Group rates: Yes, it's true. Super Saturday offers group rates, as follows:
5 or more = $25 off each person
10 or more = $40 off each person
15 or more = $50 off each person
20 or more = $60 off each person.

Last edited:
chausman beat me to it.

Last edited:
Are any CB Members heading out to Super Saturday this Saturday in NYC?

I'll be there with a friend.

My name tag will say "Joe Naftal, Resident Lighting Designer, CM Performing Arts Center" if you want to say hi!

I'm going. Look for the heavy-set bald guy with a short grey beard. One of them will be me.

Funny thing about this. I finally signed up last week when Scott Parker, a former Brooklyn College MFA lighting student e-mailed me a reminder. Steve Short from Litetrol is speaking (he's a friend), as is Chip Scott, a former BC teacher. As well I will not miss listening to Ken Billington and I have 3 books of Pilbrows I want signed.

So I arrange to have somebody cover for me on console for Friday night so as to get up at 6, make the train, head tothe city, figure out the screwed up subway schedule and end up at the lobby for Laguardia HS at 8:35.

Last Saturday.

Security knows zip.

I quickly check the website on my phone.

Saturday 1/21.

Todays the 14th.

Test run successful !. Grin.

I'm going. Look for the heavy-set bald guy with a short grey beard. One of them will be me.

Funny thing about this. I finally signed up last week when Scott Parker, a former Brooklyn College MFA lighting student e-mailed me a reminder. Steve Short from Litetrol is speaking (he's a friend), as is Chip Scott, a former BC teacher. As well I will not miss listening to Ken Billington and I have 3 books of Pilbrows I want signed.

So I arrange to have somebody cover for me on console for Friday night so as to get up at 6, make the train, head tothe city, figure out the screwed up subway schedule and end up at the lobby for Laguardia HS at 8:35.

Last Saturday.

Security knows zip.

I quickly check the website on my phone.

Saturday 1/21.

Todays the 14th.

Test run successful !. Grin.

I'll be there as well. Arrggh 4:00am is gonna come early for me. Train from upstate. Hope to meet up with some fellow CB'ers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back