Stage Manager's Report

@Ben Stiegler The group, and the manager of their venue, tried:
A cue light, a Clear Com handset the (type that's listen only 'til you squeeze the grip) AND stationing an experienced usher
(who'd been ush'ing the production for a week or more and all too well understood the importance of not opening the doors too soon)
immediately inside the double doors of the auditorium intent on keeping the doors closed until the house lights began their 3 second fade up.

All to practically no avail; the instant the House Manager heard the first clap of applause she'd begin hauling on the doors like she was hauling a molester off her mother's back; it would've taken chains 'n locks cinched tightly around the crash bars to slow the HM down 'n ya gotta know the Fire Marshal'd frown at the sight.
Some people are just too (dumb / bull-headed / ignorant) to (train / employ / trust / reason with) [Insert your choices of terms )
Toodleoo! Pavlov had better luck with his dogs.
Ron Hebbard

One only needed a bell to ring and some puppy kibble... but sometimes you just have to have the head usher take the HM off to the side with "a really important problem only YOU can fix..." Then ring the bell and toss them the dog treats.

I work in Community Theatre. I do Rehearsal Reports each show plus Performance Reports. No one ever asks for them or is interested but they are handy for me (especially the Rehearsal ones!). I've made up my own template (that I continually adjust and refine) copied from those out in the wild (aka the interweb). I don't know of any other SM that does this in the area but I also do all sorts of other forms (script analysis, check lists, enter/exit, LX/FX sheets etc) that are offered to others but rarely taken. Do I get paid? Sometimes an honorarium but I do this for fun! :)
~Anne

One thing that has streamline performance/rehearsal reports in my theatre where I have teens stage managing shows is I use google forms. I set up a form with all of the relevant fields so the kids can just bring it up on their phone at the end of rehearsal and put everything in and hit send. From there I have an add on (Form Publisher) that takes all the forms submitted and formats it into a traditional report layout and e-mails it to all the relevant staff.

Really easy for my kids. Kind of a pain in the butt for me simply because the add on isn't great and I have to manually redo a lot for each show. But once I do all the steps means it is very easy way to get info with very little training

(if anyone knows a really solid google form add-on to handle this let me know)

Ours is a Google sheet that gets left up through rehearsal so that any of the stage management team can enter things as necessary (we have both a student and adult stage manager). They are saved automatically into a shared google drive that the production staff has access to - granted it doesn't e-mail automatically but they always have access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back