Stage monitors

Jon Majors

What's a good set of stage monitors to use in an auditorium? Looking for either a set of 2 or 4, ideally less than $4,000. Must take powercon. Primary use is for lead vocals in a rock style show, and monitors for choir performances.

For low profile, wide coverage, QSC K8.2. K10.2 if you want more volume/bass but coverage pattern narrows a little.

My fault, I wasn't aware powercon and speakon were different? I need a twist lock connector that doesn't need it's own power source :) sorry, i'm learning.
Yep. NEC says connectors cannot be interchangeable/connectable for different types of "service".

The Yamaha CM12V falls into the category of "sounds better than it has a right to" for its price. They're surprisingly hard to kill, too, just don't drop them.

There are several questions before you can get a full recommendation. Are you planning on flying these or are they staying on the ground? Do they need to act as wedge monitors ever? Are you hoping for zones of coverage or are they all getting the same feed? What horizontal and vertical coverage have you calculated for your space, are you seeking to avoid spill into the house? If passive speakers are a must do you also need to fit amps into your budget? What about cable and the associated runs?

Dan

I will suggest the JBL SRX712M for monitors. They are passive boxes with a 12" speaker and an 3" compression driver. $4000 will get you the 4 boxes, you will need relatively powerful amps. I use these all the time, they are flexible, they are pole mountable in two positions, you can get a hanging bracket for them and as a wedge they rock. I fly them as mains for musical theater when my scenic designers insist on being in front of the real PA for a musical. I use them is my side gig for bands. Can't say enough good things about them. Pricey? Yep. Worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back