Stage Pin Connector Safety

Interesting, [user]ptero[/user].

So I just had to open mine up to have a peek:

The one on the left without ground is purely for historical purposes, especially since it has a half stage plug on the other end.:)

Ahh, screw terminals would certainly help things! I'll try to get a picture up of ours.

Shiben, You are correct, elec tape can work fine, Although I prefer not depending on any kind of tape for securing things like this in the air. This stems partly from our long runs and seeing failures of tape based rigging over the years.

I will admit, my problem may be partly due to using the cheaper tapes. With our budgets (very small) I do not get the spendy stuff. In time it'll loosen and gum up whatever it touches. The security ends up compromised and it gets to be a sticky mess. I am guessing that even with a better product, our long runs would still make it not a good choice for us (boy, THAT was clumsy!).

When we need to secure mated plugs from becoming unplugged, the choice is always gaff, usually along one face. This normally is done for any lines on the floor, not often in the air. :cool:

Get some 3M brand electrical tape, wrap an x on either side, but yeah, a long run would make it dry out eventually. Also, it would gum up pretty significantly after 4 weeks (about the longest i will leave tape on anything, gaff tape is 2 days. )

On the original topic, one does not have to leave their own house to find the greatest UL embarrassment, the medium Edison based lamp socket! (Capable of fitting three fingers of a child at the same time!) As for the Stagepin (shortened as to not violate the two syllable limit all road technicians work under), what would all those stock room people do if they couldn't use the connectors as a giant LEGO set?

On a more serious note, I just returned from Disney (WDW) where I was somewhat surprised to see all lighting connections made by twist-lock connectors. I found that somewhat surprising. The most humorous sighting of the week had to be the use of a 20 amp twist-lock connector on the end of a strand of Christmas lights, plugged into the usual 12/3 so.

On a more serious note, I just returned from Disney (WDW) where I was somewhat surprised to see all lighting connections made by twist-lock connectors. I found that somewhat surprising. The most humorous sighting of the week had to be the use of a 20 amp twist-lock connector on the end of a strand of Christmas lights, plugged into the usual 12/3 so.

Maybe those aren't just ordinary lights, did you actually see them turned on? Hmm perhaps a strand of lazer lights.:cool:

If heat is an issue, make sure you use 33+ tape (3M), the "colored" tape (88) is not nearly as nice around heat or UV. If even that doesn't work, there is 27 tape - fiberglass braiding. It can run up to 130C, versus 80C for 33+. And the adhesive is thermoset, meaning it shouldn't goo on the substrate. Heck, if you REALLY worry about heat, there is a tape for plasma cutting operations, but that might be overkill...

Here is the style of 3-fer block we have.

Both ends of the 'rivets' can be seen, plus the poorly captured fork under a head. The cover is stamped: 20A 125V, 15A 250V. As this is 2 pin block, the third holes were all drilled out.

proxy.php
proxy.php

btw, this is a show and tell relic, not in use. I possess three or four that I will use in a pinch, though only for certain loads and locations.

I also have a number of 3pin to 2pin plugthrough adapters made out of the same material, just in case the target has not been drilled out. An early example of plug and play? :cool:

Last edited:

Come hang out here in Canadaland!

I have 20Amp Twist on almost everything... Christmas Lights, Moving Lights... Hell, I have 120v 50w EZK lamps inside PAR-16's... And those have 20Amp Twist on them...

The only 2P&G (Always heard them referred to as Stagepin here as well) I ownare part of M 2P&G -> F L5-20 adapters for the CD-80 Pack we have that isn't Twist.

Honestly... I understand that they're still 'The Standard' almost everywhere, if not everywhere in the US... But I'm not sure I understand the Twistlock hate... Anyone?

Honestly... I understand that they're still 'The Standard' almost everywhere, if not everywhere in the US... But I'm not sure I understand the Twistlock hate... Anyone?

They ain't the standard outside the US.. You'll never see them here or in Europe...

...here is a shot of a couple of the old adapters I mentioned earlier, more show and tell relics.

proxy.php

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back