Stage-pin connector source

chadgreen

I'm working with a center manager and they say that the best price that they can get for a stage-pin connector is around $25. Looking at B&H Photo Video I see that they have Altman connectors for $10 plus shipping. Are they getting a bad deal or is there another side to the story? Thanks.

That price is great.... for a 60 amp connector. If your venue is all 60 amp that is what you are stuck with. However, there are very few venues that actually have 60 amp connectors. They are common on grip trucks and older venues that have 6k and 12k dimmers.

For a 20 amp connector, Production Advantage has their branded connectors for $4.70, BMI is at $4.25.

That price is great.... for a 60 amp connector. If your venue is all 60 amp that is what you are stuck with. However, there are very few venues that actually have 60 amp connectors. They are common on grip trucks and older venues that have 6k and 12k dimmers.

For a 20 amp connector, Production Advantage has their branded connectors for $4.70, BMI is at $4.25.

Amongst other suppliers of course and very dependant on brand. Priced out Mole Richardson parts lately? I was astounded by some prices recently. B&H to retail Altman.. What's altman direct for it?

Heck.. in even being yelled at this past week by the "Big Boss" for how much I buy from McMaster Carr, even they have I think the Rosco plug for $5.98. Boss made a few repeated points to me about how much a markup over other suppliers they were overall - though for certain debatable stuff that wasn't the case - more just paying for their having it in stock and ready to ship for at times you win in price and at other times you can do better in price but aso perhaps wait. Other times you do win in price and really do better with other suppliers given time to do the leg work or wait for a quote that for some can take days to get beyond the concept of I need it now. Yea.. some times two or three times a day orders and even sending stuff to will call from them... I'm often busy and over buy from them. This in I need it now and dependability for doing my job. Where possible other sources but assuming my pay grade in time needed with them cheaper in less time getting and more time doing.

Haven't seen stage pin plugs on Grainger before, (I know what my cost is) but if McMaster has them for an almost decent price for a brand that's only average but not the norm or in my opinion of best, that's something you can present to any buyer in grabbing his McMaster book or printing up a page for comparison to a known source to this person. $20.00 per plug might be what some retailer is selling them for with them providing the labor to mount the plugs on the fixtures but certainly not the cost of the plug.

I'm thinking this price per plug is as per with labor in mounting the plugs on the fixtures and that price is within norms of labor costs adding up to that cost. Less than five minutes for me in labor but still a normal cost for a plug mounted on a fixture.

Are we sure this wasn't the price of plugs pre-installed on the fixtures? $20.00 per plug for this might seem over priced and is in a way given the labor involved (unless me doing so), but is well within bounds of normal pricing for such a thing - normally like $15.00 thru $25.00 per plug in labor and parts - including plug.

Is there some confusion here in both providing plug and labor so as to install it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back