Control/Dimming Stage Pin to DMX

ademhayyu1

Hello,

There is this huge yearly event coming up at our school and I am the technical director for this event. There are some pretty big performances and poets coming for this and I'd like to be able to use some of the theater's fixtures to light up these performances.

I will be purchasing an ETC Nomad to for my laptop but I was wondering if anyone knew of any Stage Pin to DMX dimmer packs or converter or something so I can control 8 Source Fours with my Nomad. The principal is willing to purchase what I need but I don't think she'll pay for anything greater than $1k.

Thanks!

Thats's correct, make sure that with the Nomad, you have the USB to DMX interface, then you're all set. Find power for the dimmer packs from somewhere and you've got the idea.
And just a regular outlet should be fine, right? I'm not much an electrical person but at the same time, I'm not trying to get attacked from the school district cuz I blew out the power.

And just a regular outlet should be fine, right? I'm not much an electrical person but at the same time, I'm not trying to get attacked from the school district cuz I blew out the power.
should be fine so long as you spread the power out. You'll want to figure out what outlets are on what circuits and how much power they can give you and then divide the 8 lights up amongst whatever is available and hope there is enough.

Be careful with those dimmer packs. Note that it says "15a power cord". That's a max of about [3x 575w] or [2x 750w lights + 400w to spare] per dimmer pack at any one time. The 2400w total probably only applies if you're hardwiring the unit but I'd be wary of those specs in either case.

Might be helpful to consider lamping down to 575w or even 375w if you can.

Be careful with those dimmer packs. Note that it says "15a power cord". That's a max of about [3x 575w] or [2x 750w lights + 400w to spare] per dimmer pack at any one time. The 2400w total probably only applies if you're hardwiring the unit but I'd be wary of those specs in either case.

Might be helpful to consider lamping down to 575w or even 375w if you can.

^^^ This. We use some of those Leviton's and they're pretty reliable but you don't want to exceed power limitations. You can configure the newer ones to double-up i.e. two channels/unit if you want to use a higher output lamp but then you need to change the input cord to 20A or hardwire. I make sure that any loads on the remote dimmers are divvied up pretty evenly and never run more than 3 instruments at any given time.

Re plugging in remote dimmer packs: I'd get the maintenance person (or someone else who knows the school's systems) involved; you don't want to be popping breakers halfway through a performance!

Re plugging in remote dimmer packs: I'd get the maintenance person (or someone else who knows the school's systems) involved; you don't want to be popping breakers halfway through a performance!

^^^This.

Ask Building Services/Custodial for help finding enough isolated circuits. They should know what might be shared during performances or events with additional equipment you may not have thought of. Also, if there's going to be an audio or video element, get help finding them circuits as well so they don't steal yours during setup the day of the performance.

In all seriousness, this is great training for if you ever do event work professionally. The tent crew will literally unplug your lighting to plug in the tent heaters, and caterers always show up with coffee urns. I've even had a surprise 240v espresso machine show up halfway through a show call.

Not a pro, but as others have said, power is the key to success. At our gym, every wall plug comes from only two 20A breakers. I refused to set up lighting in the space until last year. When pressed into service I made them purchase SO cables to run in from adjacent rooms. (renting cables did not work out)

If your building folks are not extraordinary, you will need something like this, an assistant, and a time when you can turn breakers on and off until you have a clear power map of the place.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-Analog-Circuit-Breaker-Finder-With-Gfci/50133086

I also found this thread to be invaluable with regards to providing usable hanging points for instruments.
https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/hooking-light-clamps-to-an-i-beam.40127/#post-380830

For the grade school/high school/church, 7-10 events a year, I've always used Elation CYBER PAK(s) or Chauvet D6 Dual(s). (pay attention to the plugs, some are 20A and most of us need 15A jumpers)

I ended up using a wireless setup for half of the lights.

Yes to what Chase P. said about everyone who comes in to set up the day of the event! Everyone thinks they can unplug, remove covers, and ignore signs indicating what power they can use. (sad face.....LOL)

Last thought, check every connection on every jumper you purchase. I had loose connections on two of six I purchased, and did not check them until hours of troubleshooting eliminated most other things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back