Stage rigging collapses at Indiana State Fair

Just unbelievable. Read the whole thing. Look for Sugarland to replace its legal team soon.

Sugarland lawyer blames fans hurt by stage - Entertainment - Music - TODAY.com
Fans who were killed and injured when stage rigging and sound equipment collapsed onto them as they awaited a Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair failed to take steps to ensure their own safety and are at least in part to blame for their injuries, the country duo's attorneys said. ...
"Some or all of the plaintiffs' claimed injuries resulted from their own fault," according to the response. Sugarland attorney James H. Milstone would not elaborate Tuesday on whether that statement included those killed as well as the injured.
-----
From an uncredited post on Facebook:
Country duo Sugarland has denied negligence claims against it, responding to a lawsuit by saying that a fatal stage collapse last year at an Indiana State Fair was "a true accident, or act of God."
In an affidavit from a lawsuit against one company, the fair's executive director says she twice sent the show's promoter to talk to Sugarland in an effort to delay the show.
Twice the answer came back -- we want to go on, according to the deposition by Cynthia Hoye, the executive director of the state fair, according to the court filing.
But in a separate document contained in a state report on the incident, Sugarland tour manager Helen Rollins said no one asked the band to delay its set.
The band also said "they had nothing to do with the construction of the venue" and did not have the final say if the show should happen or not.
Court and state documents reveal differing accounts of what happened.
Several families of victims from the August incident have filed a lawsuit against Sugarland, contending it was negligent in the stage collapse that left seven people dead and more than 40 injured.
The incident occurred after a storm toppled scaffolding just as the country band was about to take the stage.

Last edited:
The fans bear some responsibility for their personal safety but the powers to be should know more and make the right calls. I don't believe for a minute the band wasn't consulted about weather and possibly canceling.

Hey, does anyone have a saved copy or a working link to the video/audio of the doctor saving the kid? It seems to be private now and I can't find a copy so I guess I didn't download it. I want to show it to some of our new crew.

Hey, does anyone have a saved copy or a working link to the video/audio of the doctor saving the kid? It seems to be private now and I can't find a copy so I guess I didn't download it. I want to show it to some of our new crew.

I would also be interested in that link/file if anyone has it.

Hot off the presses: More findings and statements. Thornton Thomasetti Inc. finds that the Jersey barrier ballast was insufficient and the entire structure was not adequately rated for even the minimum expected wind conditions. The Governor wasted no time in stating his willingness to share the information from Thomasettis reports with other states. < read that as " Hey don't blame us we didn't know, here let us make a humanitarian like gesture and pray no one else tries to sue us." >

Reports: Indiana State Fair stage where seven died was inadequate - CNN.com

...the Jersey barrier ballast ...
Politically (semi-) correct term for mafia block?

6804-stage-rigging-collapses-indiana-state-fair-home1.jpg

Plastic Jersey | Temporary Plastic Barricades & Barriers

To me, that's a K-rail. (And we learned from the movie Volcano that the concrete version can redirect lava flow, and save Los Angeles.)
-----
...system had grossly inadequate capacity to resist both the minimum code-specified wind speed (68 miles per hour) and the actual wind speed that was present at the time of the failure (approximately 59 miles per hour)," according to a report by Thornton Tomasetti Inc., an engineering firm.
Exactly what "code" for temporary entertainment structures specifies minimum 68 mph wind speed?
-----
"We will share freely all these findings and suggestions with any state who will listen, starting later this month at a national meeting in Indianapolis about national safety standards for outdoor temporary stages and structures."
Funny, I haven't seen anything in the trade mags or social media about this "national meeting." I wonder if any entertainment professionals/PLASA/ESTA will be invited?

Attachments

• home1.jpg
    home1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
So, there have been some staffing changes at the Fair Grounds as reported here.

I found this iteresting, the guy responsible for the fair's safety and security was promoted after all this.
Fairgrounds facilities manager Dave Hummel has retired and will be replaced by Ray Allison, who had been the fair’s director of safety and security.

DOH! :doh:

That's really amazing. Apparently in Indiana evidence is not stored in a secure area. Unbelievable.

So, we have a 2 day+load in day conference in our space and today I got the agenda. The conference is centered around NYS homeland security which includes state fire, national guard, police, and all that fun stuff. In that, this is an included session happening on my stage:

3:35 p.m. - 5:15 p.m. Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse: Lessons Learned in Mass Gathering Planning
Presenter: Joe Wainscott, Director, State of Indiana Department of Homeland Security;
Moderator: Jerome M. Hauer, Commissioner, Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services
Description: On August 13, 2011, a stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair caused the death of seven people. The State of Indiana conducted an exhaustive investigation and found numerous deficiencies that contributed to the tragedy. As a result, the State of Indiana made several changes to its practices and laws. Indiana State leaders will discuss county and state fair planning, including the State's response to the incident, lessons learned, and changes to State law and code enforcement practices.

So, if you are in NYS it would not surprise me to see more oversight in this area in the coming year. They are at least paying attention to it.

Here is a document from the Indiana state supreme court which explains what they were asked to rule on, the opinion of the court, and what their ruling was. Reading the first four and last page proved interesting but the middle bits can be complicated court stuff so I skipped most of it.

Attachments

• 01281601lhr.pdf
    344.9 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back