Stagehands Strike at North Shore Music Theater (Beverly, MA)

theatricalmatt

Following on the heels of the IATSE/AMPTP strike and the walk-out at the Williamstown Theater Festival earlier this year, stagehands and musicians at the North Shore Music Theater (Beverly, MA) have gone on strike. The stage crew have requested a wage increase from the existing range of $13.50 - $20.00 per hour to $22.00 to $32.00 per hour.

Last edited:
"What is currently being asked for in this negotiation is in line with the large metropolitan theatres in the area that have much higher ticket prices and a schedule filled with touring productions playing year-round. That is not who we are. Our business model is based on being a suburban regional theatre that self-produces its own shows that are on our stage for 13-15 weeks out of the year."

TFW you admit that the majority of "suburban regional theatres" don't pay living wages and have business models that abuse and undervalue their technician's contributions.

I'm glad this resolved itself quickly and they were able to get back to work. I'll just add, f*** Bill Hanney, he's garbage and this was long overdue. Sure he's giving people jobs and all that with his businesses, but the guy needs to be ran out of town for good.

Minor correction: IA didn't *quite* strike. :)
The Music Fair folks were part of IATSE local 11 I believe and I think walked for a day before the theater settled. It's not the "big" strike by the IATSE international, which as I read it would have been one of the few or only times the international office had called a strike, as opposed to it being a local striking. Local 1 against Broadway a few years ago comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back