Staging/Rigging Workbox

October was a good salary month, so I found myself with tool money.
I won a new in box Bosch GPL3 3-Point Laser yesterday on eBay and am watching several Leica Disto's.
The D2 seems like it does everything I could need at a reasonable price.

Might also pick up a cheap(ish) rotary laser for assembling stages.

I've been looking at the D2 and the D330 a lot the past year, as well as a few other models. I'd have to agree in that the D2 seems to be the best model when comparing features to price.

That's what the intended use of the Bosch GPL3 is.
I'll do some evaluation once I'm back in my theatre.
It's hard to tell from a picture but I was concerned the width of the base was a little narrow. The steel I shoot ranges from 40 to 85ft. I would appreciate letting me know how it is.

Being that it's hibernation time I have more than a little time to look at tools online.
The latest thing I've found is a spud wrench ratchet.
It's dual drive 1/2" and 3/4" ratchet one end and a spud on the other.
Does anyone use one of these things?
proxy.php

I have a Stanley laser disto, which probably isn't as feature packed as the Leica, but it's been pretty durable. I see them on ebay for about $50 - $75.

Being that it's hibernation time I have more than a little time to look at tools online.
The latest thing I've found is a spud wrench ratchet.
It's dual drive 1/2" and 3/4" ratchet one end and a spud on the other.
Does anyone use one of these things?
proxy.php
I don't currently have one but they are handy. We use them when during scaffold builds, works well on cheeseburoughs.

I abandoned the big road case a few months ago and went back to the Rubbermaid tub.
My workbox largely sits in the office at the theatre as I am there frequently.
I haven't added anything, but I did take out the 5lb sledge.

- Disto (must have!)
- aircraft cable swaging/crimping equipment
- sheaves - esp. one locking sheave
- several climbing slings for them
- tie line is always good
- scaff hooks for your Y lanyard and central locating ring
- calculator with Trig functions! or even better iPhone or Android Rigging app!

that's about all off the top of my head.

I'm assuming you're not going to be renting out packages of course...

also - a good climbing type helmet - one that has a chin-strap.
note that an actual 'rock climbing' sport helmet is not ANSI rated... although I've gotten away with one for years.
the best ones have an internal suspension system instead of just foam...

Someone mentioned a laser level, I have three different kinds that I use on every job. One is a simple 3 beam plumb/level, small and light. Very quick for initial layout and point finding. #2 is a 5 beam to establish and lay out right angles and find points in relationship to two or three other points in one shot. #3 is a line projector. instead of red dots, it shows a continuous line along the floor, up a wall or across a wall. They all do a different job better than the other two.

On the laser tool list of "must have" is a distance finder or laser tape measure. for both the Level/plumb and the distance finders, 1/8" @100' is the tightest resolution you will need for 99.99% of install work, 1/4" @ 100' will handle most show rigging in arenas and outdoor situations. There are situations that need more accuracy, but they are in the minority. Remember, 1/8" @ 100' is 1/32" @ 25', that's pretty close. Can we do it closer? Of course! But it may take more time and do absolutely nothing to improve the product. If the guy who heads the gig says, "1/4 inch to the right" don't complain, just do it. That's what we're paid for. If you are the crew chief, make sure that 1/4" or 1/2" is really necessary or will make the product better. Will the crew's time be better spent on something else that WILL make a difference.

absolutely +1 on the Disto... the laser levels and the 5 beam!!

BTW - Michael, you're not related to a rigger named Bob Powers are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back