The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Stand alone clearcom call light?

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by gafftapegreenia, Apr 6, 2009.

1. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Prop-tart
    So, over this past show I discovered the need a for a visible clear com call light in the house to get ahold of our house manager more easily. Now, I know PI makes strobe pack versions, but honestly, how hard can it be to wire up a simple home-brew clearcom call light? I think I could figure it out if I knew the operating voltage and which wires go where. Really doesn't seem that hard to me. Has anyone attempted this?

2. gafftapegreenia

Prop-tart
    Just did some searching and found a few old threads on this. Kinda what I figured.

Has anyone actually DONE it, or have a diagram?

3. gafftapegreenia

Prop-tart
    Of course my problem has already been solved, for $25:
    Illumineering - Com-bit

4. waynehoskins

waynehoskins Active Member

The call signal is provided by DC bias on the audio line -- something like at least 8 volts. The call detection circuit in the old analog CC packs was dog simple, perhaps as simple as using that to switch on a transistor that lights up the light. Maybe low-pass it, I forget.

$25 isn't bad for an actual product, but it should also be doable for a couple bucks' worth of junkbox parts, if that. :)

5. gafftapegreenia

Prop-tart
    The junkbox of parts I got. :) Hence my desire not to spend $25. Give me a diagram and I"ll breadboard it.

6. aminorking

aminorking Member

I saw this the other day which might help. It is for a Tecpro, which is mainly used in the UK, but I understand that it is compatible with Clear-Com, could someone confirm that?
    But anywho, call light circuit here. Hope that helps.

Edit: Did a bit more searching, Tecpro is
    1:Ground
    2:+24v
    3: Signal

Clear-com
    1:Ground
    2:+30v
    3: Signal

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  7. willbb123

willbb123 Active Member

I made a thread asking about this a while ago. Everything I need is in that thread but I haven't gotten around to making it yet. I am on my phone so I can't paste the link in, but either do I search or look at the topics I've started and you easily find it.

8. waynehoskins

waynehoskins Active Member

Yeah, Tech Projects is 100 percent CC compatible. They began selling CC-compatible kits long ago.

That circuit will work, but for just lighting a small light it's overkill -- though plenty good for a big light.

For something smaller like a No. 47 lamp, look at Richard Crowley's Comclone schematic (ComClone2 - Schematic Diagram). Of interest is the signal circuit, which has a couple of bus isolation resistors, a low-pass filter, and then a NPN darlington driving the load. That's all you need -- and in fact, if it's a lighter load, you don't even really need a darlington pair.