Stand alone clearcom call light?

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
So, over this past show I discovered the need a for a visible clear com call light in the house to get ahold of our house manager more easily. Now, I know PI makes strobe pack versions, but honestly, how hard can it be to wire up a simple home-brew clearcom call light? I think I could figure it out if I knew the operating voltage and which wires go where. Really doesn't seem that hard to me. Has anyone attempted this?

Just did some searching and found a few old threads on this. Kinda what I figured.

Has anyone actually DONE it, or have a diagram?

The call signal is provided by DC bias on the audio line -- something like at least 8 volts. The call detection circuit in the old analog CC packs was dog simple, perhaps as simple as using that to switch on a transistor that lights up the light. Maybe low-pass it, I forget.

$25 isn't bad for an actual product, but it should also be doable for a couple bucks' worth of junkbox parts, if that. :)

The junkbox of parts I got. :) Hence my desire not to spend $25. Give me a diagram and I"ll breadboard it.

I saw this the other day which might help. It is for a Tecpro, which is mainly used in the UK, but I understand that it is compatible with Clear-Com, could someone confirm that?
But anywho, call light circuit here. Hope that helps.

Edit: Did a bit more searching, Tecpro is
1:Ground
2:+24v
3: Signal

Clear-com
2:+30v

Last edited:
I made a thread asking about this a while ago. Everything I need is in that thread but I haven't gotten around to making it yet. I am on my phone so I can't paste the link in, but either do I search or look at the topics I've started and you easily find it.

I saw this the other day which might help. It is for a Tecpro, which is mainly used in the UK, but I understand that it is compatible with Clear-Com, could someone confirm that?
But anywho, call light circuit here. Hope that helps.

Edit: Did a bit more searching, Tecpro is
2:+24v

Clear-com
2:+30v

Yeah, Tech Projects is 100 percent CC compatible. They began selling CC-compatible kits long ago.

That circuit will work, but for just lighting a small light it's overkill -- though plenty good for a big light.

For something smaller like a No. 47 lamp, look at Richard Crowley's Comclone schematic (ComClone2 - Schematic Diagram). Of interest is the signal circuit, which has a couple of bus isolation resistors, a low-pass filter, and then a NPN darlington driving the load. That's all you need -- and in fact, if it's a lighter load, you don't even really need a darlington pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back