Standard Scene Supplies

Tech Ninja

I recently started a new job as a technical director for my old high school. Unfortunately, they do not quite have the standard supply of scene pieces they need. So I ask... What do y'all keep on supply for standard set pieces? Below are some of the things I know we have already. TIA
  • 4x8 Platforms
  • Periaktos
  • 18" Cubes

I don't know about Periaktois but I would say a stock of 4x8 & 2x8 studio flats as well as a number of scenery jacks would be essential. You can never have too many rehearsal cubes. For platforms, 4x8's or a stock of 4x4 triscuits to set up a small dias, some 'Trunk liner' carpet, some 6",1' and 18" skirting can come in handy and a couple one and two step units.

All this depending on available storage space.

I'd add flats to suit the proscenium height (not a fan of 8' ones), steps, doors and windows to mount to flats. Some have a revolve, flats in 'book' and 'tri fold' sets or boes of castors. And of course as much furniture as possible!

The real question is, what will be needed again.

I always liked having a couple right triangle platforms in stock so you can make some angles and turns with your other platforms.

Also I've always been a fan of open rehearsal cubes, solid top and bottom but with a cut out on all the sides, they look real nice, everything is a handle and it cuts the weight way down and allows you to stash small props or items in them for various scenes.

I used to love open side rehearsal cubes, then someone showed me their rehearsal cobes made of stacked / glued / faced pink-foam insulation board cubes. You only need to face them to keep shoe heels from digging in. Cheap & light weight.

Consider dutching your cubes with glue and muslin on the edges, helps keep splintering down. Would probably work on the foam cubes mentioned above as well. Cut rounded handholds with sanded edges.

I'm a fan of pipe and black drape. Use it for exit flats, masking, quick change booths. It can pack and store in very little space, including places flats would never fit.

I'll second the idea of stock flats designed to accommodate your proscenium. Create a standard, and make any new builds adhere to it instead of one-off sets. Consider a published construction drawing so that bracing and such matches up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back