Standard Wire Rope Sling Lengths

We're slowly-but-surely moving our rigging supplies to mimic more of the touring world (at least, my limited experience there). One of the first things I want to begin making and using is a set of standard Sling (or "Steel" to some of you) lengths that will be offset by trim chain (36" typical), etc in use.

So with that in mind, for those of you who use a system like this, what are the standard lengths YOU keep on hand?

My from-the-hip first thought is:
5ft
10ft
25ft
50ft

The number of each I've yet to figure our for certain. I fear that's too few despite that I can make up lengths inbetween by combining.

And for a final thought for you super-experienced folk: Is there a length past which you would NOT use 1/8" 7x19 GAC for standard (reads: within an 8:1 or a 10:1 safety factor) application? Strength-wise I wouldn't there is but I know that cable-stretch can be an issue sometimes.

Thanks for any advice!

Jake,

The standard size wire rope used for tours is going to be 3/8" Galvanized Aircraft Cable which is 7x19. 1/2" is used if your hanging a lot of 2ton motors. 1/8" is not used since it is note rated for the loads usually found.

For lengths, your will commonly find:

2.5' (or 2' depending on who the supplier is. These are called dog bones)
5'
10'
20'
30'
50'

All of these will be manufactured by a reputable sling manufacturer using thimbles and mechanical terminations (they don't use swage fittings like nicopress.)

Regards,
Ethan

Last edited:
We used to travel with 5's, 10's, 20's, and 30's. In the rare case we needed anything longer we rented. Common construction I've see is 1/2" 6 x 19 I. W. R. C for 2 ton points and 3/8" or 7/16" (6 x 19 I. W. R. C again) for everything else.
Cable stretch can be a positioning issue but that's what deck chain and turnbuckles are for IMHO.

The OP said 1/8" GAC, so I can only assume scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks, folk, for your replies. I realized that I should have implicitly stated in my OP that I am the new PM/TD at a small college theatre & dance dept, working almost entirely with students, and, yes, we are primarily hanging scenery. As such, most of my current cable already in stock is 1/8", I surmise this is because of its small profile (which college designers/directors still seem to think is of PARAMOUNT importance); on those rare occasions where the SWL of 1/8" wire rope hasn't been sufficient for what we're hanging, I've used more lines or we've up-sized to an appropriate size & SWL. I go to pretty good lengths (pun intended) to make sure EVERYTHING I hang is done so as safely as possible.

That said, my predecessor wasn't a rigger much at all so a lot of the "stock" cables we do have is either improperly made or is in really odd lengths (e.g. 16'-10") so I'm looking to standardize some of it for ease of use in the space(s). While I want to mimic the touring circuits because 1) it makes sense to me for our STOCK to be standardized and thus easier to use in practice, and 2) it would help prep my students for a little more of the Real World, I don't have the tools or the budget to FULLY upgrade to 3/8" or 1/2" GAC this year - although stock made from something a little more robust than 1/8" wouldn't be a bad thing. Baby steps.

Thanks for all your input.
-Jake

OK, that makes more sense. FYI, 1/8" GAC is the most common material for rigging scenery because of its thin profile. Basically, you're going to use the smallest cable that has adequate rated strength with a safety factor. Note also that we tend to use safety factors higher than those suggested by the SWL on the products, since our uses are dynamic and operating over heads. 8x or 10x of breaking strength are common. 3/8" or 1/2" are used primarily for motors and truss. Your fly system can't handle a load that would require 1/2" GAC anyway.

That said, no where I've worked has maintained a stock of lengths in 1/8" GAC. It's typically seen as disposable, at a few cents per foot. One reason may be that it's often run through framing of scenery, so has to built in place. Also, you'd need a solid inspection procedure and lifespan tracking system. Lastly, there could be damage that you can't see. Perhaps a cable experienced a shock load when something snagged during the run. IMO, build new for each use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back