Joshualangman

Dear ControlBooth community,

I am pleased to announce that my book on theatrical design is now available for pre-order! The book embodies a radical new approach to conceptualizing and teaching the design disciplines, and is written for educators, students (high school, college, and graduate-level), and professionals in all areas of theatrical design.

Standby
An Approach to Theatrical Design

Joshua Langman
Southern Illinois University Press, 2021
www.standbybook.com

Standby proposes a practical philosophy of contemporary theatrical design that addresses all design disciplines, all theatrical collaborators, and all forms of theatre, from the traditional to the avant-garde. Beginning with the proposition that design contributes essential layers of meaning to an experience, Standby argues for a unique approach centered on the creation of revelatory theatrical moments. In a mission to illuminate the soul of the craft, Langman investigates the purposes of design, details the elements of a production concept, uncovers the mechanics of creating meaning, explores the relationship of theatrical design to fine art and art history, and offers practical guidance on designing productions. Blending scholarship and storytelling, personal experience and contrarian wisdom, Standby challenges theatre-makers to harness the rich dramatic potential of theatrical design.

Amanda Gronich, one of the creators of The Laramie Project, calls the book “nothing short of groundbreaking.”

Broadway set designer Beowulf Boritt calls the book “a valuable tool for young designers learning how to approach the form.”

Lighting designer Cory Pattak says that "any literary arsenal of texts on design will greatly benefit from its inclusion."

Standby is published by SIU Press, the publisher of Ghost Light, Backwards and Forwards, Scriptwork, and many other modern classics in the field.

It is available for pre-order wherever books are sold, including:

Educators, take note: bulk discounts and free review copies for teachers are available from the publisher.

If you would like to be informed of upcoming events and other news related to the book, please sign up for the mailing list.

For more information and to read an excerpt from the book, please see www.standbybook.com.

My best to everyone as the industry begins to find its footing once again.

Josh

Hello, ControlBooth!

I am pleased to announce that my book Standby: An Approach to Theatrical Design is now out and shipping! It can be ordered here. Examination copies for educators are available from the publisher.

My best to everyone,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back