Starting in a new city/state

What are some tips for starting a career in a new area?

For me specially, I finished my graduate degree in lighting design a year ago and now find my self in a new state with no clue how to start networking to land a decent gig. I don’t intend to have a design gig fall into my lap and would rather be a technician somewhere steady and design on the side. I have zero contacts here and no venues I can find have anything technical positions listed.

Advice?

We have many friends in the area, and lighting is their specialty. Please feel free to call me at (800)288-4626 and ask for Keith. I'll be happy to share me 'black book' with you!

And welcome back to the ControlBooth!

Get your website on point and hand out business cards at industry mixers and events. It is pretty easy for people to go to a website and look at the work you have done and drafting. Try to get a gauge for the kind of skills that are needed in your area. Are programmers needed? Head electricians for corporate shows but not necessarily for theatre? Can you do a custom arduino or raspberry pi project? Also look at any architecture or consulting firms in the area. See if the local needs solid electricians, its not design work but its work in our business.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back