Stereo Sound Systems

falcon

Reading a post on psuedo-stereo systems that only reduce the signal level got me thinking, how is a stereo system properly set up? The system I have, the audience thinks its stereo, but I know i'm running a split mono. How can I change that so I have a true stereo setup? I'm not going to give specifics on the sound system since we are swapping our equipment with better stuff, I just want to know the proper way to set one up.

Well essentially you need to ensure that the signal is in stereo and then either use a stereo mixer (or use 2 channels for each input – ie L=1, R=2 etc). Then you will probably have to double up the number of EQ’s if you don’t have stereo EQ’s and in most cases you will have to double the amount of amps as well.

This is one of the main reasons that people run in mono – when I played in a band, we rand the sound in mono. Also, you don’t have to worry about one side of the room getting less sound that the other, due to pan/stereo settings.

Actually, that would still be a split-mono system. To be a stereo system, you would need to drastically overhaul your system by having two completely independent speaker arrays (left and right), EACH of which is capable of providing clear, complete, and even covereage to the ENTIRE room.

In other words, your left array needs to have short throw speakers focused on the left side of the room, medium throws focused on the middle, and far throws for the right; vice-versa for the left array.

Otherwise, the image is off, and people on the right won't hear the left signal, and vice-versa.

Yep - thought that the seperate speaker arrays would be a given in a stereo system.

Separate is, but generally it's less understood that each array needs to provide full and consistent coverage. Just because I have an array on each side of the room doesn't mean I'm getting stereo coverage.

I could have a three wide array as a left cluster that only provides even coverage to the left sound of the house, just a little coverage in the middle, and barely any on the right. Add a matching one on the right, and it's still a split-mono.

LOL - next time I'll just draw a picture!

Seriously though you are completely correct and I should have been more thorough in my description. I forgot that some people (I am referring to a good friend of mine) think that stereo means 2 speakers!

Here's a funny... I had a guy over the weekend want a true stereo feed for his video camera... When I explained to him he was getting a mono signal from all the mic's, he insisted it HAD to be true stereo and "he would know" because it was going to CD and he had bang and olefsun telefunken this and that blah blah blah. Pissing me off because he did not arrange for special accomodations prior as is required, and since we are ordinarily not set up to do special panning for a "vidiots" audio feed, I popped in a 2-way splitter at my source and dropped a second line and he didn't notice the difference... Home audiophile moron...

Additionally FWIW--unless you (or the audience) are in the exact center between the two systems--you won't know its not true stereo imaging or get the full benefit of a stereo mix.. Stereo panning gives the effects in a stereo system--but the folks on one side and close up to the stacks will miss information panned hard to the other side if the balance is not set up correctly... Its like listening to one side of a set of headphones...got to be in the middle of that headset for the full effect to be known...

-w

thanks for the info, i figured it had something to do with what each speaker cluster was feed. I think i will keep things in split mono until someone complains. Everyone thinks the setup is stereo, but at least now i know how to explain it

Wolf, that's exactly what I was saying--if you set up true stereo arrays, you will get the full benefit of a stereo mix in any seat. That's the whole distinction I was making--you need a very well set up system with multiple speaker types in each array to make it happen, and really need to know what you're doing.

Andy_Leviss said:
Wolf, that's exactly what I was saying--if you set up true stereo arrays, you will get the full benefit of a stereo mix in any seat. That's the whole distinction I was making--you need a very well set up system with multiple speaker types in each array to make it happen, and really need to know what you're doing.

Yup--exactly... also FWIW its very expensive to do this completely as well in a venue let alone on a tour. The only tour group I have ever heard of who went the extra mile for that true stereo system set up was Pink Floyd--and I hear they are putting a reunion tour together for early next year--if they do tour, it will be a must-see show..they put on one of the best technical concerts ever--in looks and sound and FX--its the best...

-w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back