The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

stereo to mono

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by rtbagby, Apr 30, 2009.

1. rtbagby

rtbagby Member

At my church we have a DVD, tape, and CD player all with stereo RCA outputs and the current set up is eating up to many channels. Is there a way to combine the left and right outputs into one? If so how?

2. Gretsch

Gretsch Member

Pick up a couple AV Direct Box's at any pro audio supply store. It will take stereo RCA line level inputs and change them to a single balanced mic level output.

T

3. Derrick

Derrick Member

Or for the do-it-yourself-er... Go here Why Not Wye?

4. museav

museav CBMod CB Mods Departed Member

Acoustical, audio and audiovisual consultant
    You can also find some passive summing devices such as these, STD-10K Passive Audio Divider/Combiner - 10 kΩ, or an active device that provides some isolation and input level control such as this, ST-MX3 3 Channel Audio Mixer - Line input and output.

This may seem like an obvious point, but is your system mono or stereo? Just hate to see you lose any stereo effect or encounter combfiltering if you have a two channel system.

5. waynehoskins

waynehoskins Active Member

If you don't need to "mix" between the sources, you might consider submixing them in a line mixer to a single stereo pair.

6. NickJones

NickJones Active Member

After loosing our (only, yes I know we need more than one) 3.5m Mini-Phono to XLR lead, I had to make one up, rather quickly, I got a 3.5m MiniPhono to Sterio RCA, and then used a video splitter (just a one into two, nothing like an amp) I just used it in reverse, so I plugged the two RCA's in, and a RCA to XLR on the other end, this worked fine for me, it will work with your red & white RCA's.
    Hope this helped, and I didn't blow anything up.
    Nick

7. Chris15

Chris15 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

NO! Read the why not wye paper to understand why this screws with your impedances rather badly. If you need to mix em down.. you need to throw in some mixing resistors, 10k on each of L&R springs to mind...

If you really wanted a crude approach you could always use a switch to swap between stereo ins:twisted:.

8. Mayhem

Mayhem Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

I prefer to use a summing amp.

Depending on how competent you feel about making one I have posted a link below to the schematics for the ones I have built and used. When running sound I will always prefer mono over stereo for better balance and depth for the punters. But each to their own!

The summing amp is based around a TL072A op amp and will not have a noticeable drop in signal. It is quite easy to mount onto bread board and you can mount and run more than one of the same power supply.

If you don't have Visio, you can get a free viewer form MS - hope it helps.

SORRY - NO LINK - SEE REASON FOR EDIT BELOW

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. TimmyP1955

TimmyP1955 Active Member

If you can DIY, Derrick's solution is the least expensive and most reliable.