stereo to mono

rtbagby

At my church we have a DVD, tape, and CD player all with stereo RCA outputs and the current set up is eating up to many channels. Is there a way to combine the left and right outputs into one? If so how?

At my church we have a DVD, tape, and CD player all with stereo RCA outputs and the current set up is eating up to many channels. Is there a way to combine the left and right outputs into one? If so how?
You can also find some passive summing devices such as these, STD-10K Passive Audio Divider/Combiner - 10 kΩ, or an active device that provides some isolation and input level control such as this, ST-MX3 3 Channel Audio Mixer - Line input and output.

This may seem like an obvious point, but is your system mono or stereo? Just hate to see you lose any stereo effect or encounter combfiltering if you have a two channel system.

After loosing our (only, yes I know we need more than one) 3.5m Mini-Phono to XLR lead, I had to make one up, rather quickly, I got a 3.5m MiniPhono to Sterio RCA, and then used a video splitter (just a one into two, nothing like an amp) I just used it in reverse, so I plugged the two RCA's in, and a RCA to XLR on the other end, this worked fine for me, it will work with your red & white RCA's.
Hope this helped, and I didn't blow anything up.
Nick

After loosing our (only, yes I know we need more than one) 3.5m Mini-Phono to XLR lead, I had to make one up, rather quickly, I got a 3.5m MiniPhono to Sterio RCA, and then used a video splitter (just a one into two, nothing like an amp) I just used it in reverse, so I plugged the two RCA's in, and a RCA to XLR on the other end, this worked fine for me, it will work with your red & white RCA's.
Hope this helped, and I didn't blow anything up.
Nick

NO! Read the why not wye paper to understand why this screws with your impedances rather badly. If you need to mix em down.. you need to throw in some mixing resistors, 10k on each of L&R springs to mind...

If you really wanted a crude approach you could always use a switch to swap between stereo ins:twisted:.

I prefer to use a summing amp.

Depending on how competent you feel about making one I have posted a link below to the schematics for the ones I have built and used. When running sound I will always prefer mono over stereo for better balance and depth for the punters. But each to their own!

The summing amp is based around a TL072A op amp and will not have a noticeable drop in signal. It is quite easy to mount onto bread board and you can mount and run more than one of the same power supply.

If you don't have Visio, you can get a free viewer form MS - hope it helps.

SORRY - NO LINK - SEE REASON FOR EDIT BELOW

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back